Steamy exhaust?

Stites
12-23-2010, 01:29 PM
My Rodeo runs like a top now, just the exhaust pipe spews out a LOT of steam. No smell of coolant or anything at all, just steams like crazy! Any ideas as to why?

XR400R
12-23-2010, 05:34 PM
That happened to my Passport about a year & half ago. Started vapor smokin like a house on fire! In my case, it was definately a failed head gasket leaking coolant into a cylinder. Sure cleaned that plug. But I could distinctly smell EG in the exhaust steam. Odd that you can't, so maybe a cracked head or head gasket is not your problem? I don't know what else it could be. Perhaps some of the other experts can offer another explain.

I used Bar's Head Gasket Fix on mine. I don't recommend that cheap/lazy approach:nono: but I just could not pull that head. That solved my problem completely at the time (surprised me) and it has done just fine ever since with no mods to system other than drain/replace the coolant 2X since the Bar's treatment! I couldn't believe it but . . .

Stites
12-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Hmmm. It's been doing it ever since I got it. I replaced the plugs, and all of them were VERY worn with no sign of any being steam cleaned. I truly hope and pray it ain't a cracked head. I can do the gasket swap, done enough on Jeeps and dirt bikes and hot rods to know the drill. But I REALLY don't want to replace a head!

mcmalloy
12-23-2010, 07:03 PM
replace the cat on the exhust

XR400R
12-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Consider running to an auto parts place that loans tools & borrow a cooling system pressure tester to pressure check your radiator. That should tell you for sure once & for all if you have a cooling system leak. I know for sure Advance Auto Parts & Auto Zone loans em out.

Add your comment to this topic!