Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

No Heat

starfox1600
12-23-2010, 11:44 AM
'66 Galaxie with a 289. No AC.
Radiator was bad when I bought it, previous owners had used a StopLeak type of product to seal radiator.

Replaced radiator, water pump, thermostat and hoses; flushed out engine and the heater core. Water runs through core in both directions so I think it is fine. Hoses get hot, fluid seems to flow. Fan blows fine to the floor or defrost depending upon selection.

Temperature control arm on dash swings the lever to adjust for heat setting but I get no heat. Could the lever be broken off on the inside of the heater housing? Where do I look next? Any ideas welcome.

Thx.

Fox

junkyarddawg
12-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Pull the heater core out of the heater box and see if it still has the seal around the core,it has to be there or the air flow will go around the core and not through it. I had no heat in my 65 which was partially caused by a bad seal and a new but defective heater core

starfox1600
12-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Thx JYD. I really didn't want to pull that core but I think I'll have to. Be a good project for this weekend - supposed to get up into the 60's :-)

junkyarddawg
12-30-2010, 04:26 PM
If it has no a/c its a easy core to pull,remove the hoses and 4 screws and pull it out of the box.

mechhound
12-30-2010, 08:22 PM
If you pull the heater core, I strongly suggest replacing it if a core is readily available. My dad had a 1967 Galaxie 500 that put out zero heat. I removed the core and took it to a radiator shop. The guy ran hot water through it and felt the cores, then cold water and felt the cores. He told me there's nothing wrong with this. I convinced him to pull it apart anyway. When I came to pick it up the guy said you were right it was plugged. Obviously this was back in the day before just replacing the heater core was commonplace. Bottom line, replace your heater core.

junkyarddawg
12-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Do not buy the cores Autozone sells as they are junk,when I first got my 65 on the road it had some heat so I bought a new core and less heat came out of the new core. Still had the original and compared it to the new core and it had more tubes plus it was made wrong and would not sit flat against the back of the heater box,flushed the old core out and water flowed good through it aand tried to flush the new core and there was resistance so it was built plugged up. Made a new seal around the core and installed the original and its alot better but not what it was when the car was new,look on ebay for a NOS core and are the same from 65 to 68 for non a/c.

starfox1600
12-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks Guys. I'll look to pull it this weekend.
Since I had water flow both ways thru the core, I assumed that meant it was working fine. Once I pull it I'll check it again - but might save myself the trouble if I just buy a new one. Thanks for the heads-up on the Autozone part! I'll let you know what I find out after I pull it.

starfox1600
01-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Ok, pulled the core - as said it was easy to do. Again checked with water throughput and it seemed fine. Checked the mechanics of the heat selector and it adjusts the door beside the fan as it is supposed to - redirecting air through the core area. Checked air flow inside car and noted more air coming through when the heat is selected. All seems fine.
So at this point, I guess I'll try another core.

starfox1600
01-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Ok, received the new core this past week and just put it in.....we have HEAT!
Thanks for help :-)

Add your comment to this topic!