Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ideas for making this wheel

kaho
12-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Hey guys,

Haven't been posting here for a long time! Hope everyone is doing well!

Now that finals are over and I have about 3 weeks of model building, I am thinking of doing a resurrection of my Suzuki Sidekick/Vitara/Escudo as a quick build (I am calling it quick build now, hope it remains fairly quick!) The first thing that I want to do is toss away the stock rims and tire and replace with some off road steelies and mud tires off an aoshima kit (which I also built up years ago with limited success). Here is my first challenge:

I am going to build one of these rims. The face will be made with styrene cards and I will cut off the face of the stock rims and use the cylinder for this new face.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/kaho4g94/offroadwheel.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/kaho4g94/offroadwheel2.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/kaho4g94/offroadwheel3.jpg

The green colored parts will be scratchbuilt and the pink will be supplied by the old rim. The spokes are tapered 15 degrees from the vertical (Other measurements are approximate). Any ideas on how to make the tapered spokes out of flat styrene cards?

Thanks for any ideas.

Kurzheck
12-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Not exact but this could be WAY easier...
http://tinyurl.com/23cdgsd
http://tinyurl.com/25nx2ad

kaho
12-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Yea I've been going around my LHS for these kinds of rims. They are available in a few Revell truck kits, but I just can't let myself buy an entire kit that I may never work on just to take away the rims. The rims in your link look nice, but unfortunately with shipping and conversion to CAD it would cost more than the whole kit here.

rsxse240
12-23-2010, 06:11 PM
I don't think you understand what he's saying. Those rims should fit your tires from the escudo. they are a standard 15 inch rim and like you said, they are offered in a hundred kits from revell, monogram and other US makers, as well as other models. If you were to pay for shipping, I will give you a set that is in the Rev. Mono. Jeep model I have. They aren't perfect, but if you plan on painting them white, like most of them were originally on 1:1 vehicles, I think it would be better to detail them up a little as opposed to spending all that time milling/scratchbuilding a wheel that already exists.

The tire that you have on your escudo will likely fit these rims perfectly, as has been the case of most of my experiences with aoshima/fujimi 15" tires and mono/amt/rev rims.

If you are dead set on making this wheel from scratch, I'd suggest turning the center out of one piece on a lathe and cutting the holes out rather than trying to put a bunch of pieces together. you'll have a better chance of getting it right and all the spokes at the proper angle. Then I'd only make 1 wheel and make copies in resin.

cinqster
12-23-2010, 07:39 PM
If you are dead set on making this wheel from scratch, I'd suggest turning the center out of one piece on a lathe and cutting the holes out rather than trying to put a bunch of pieces together. you'll have a better chance of getting it right and all the spokes at the proper angle. Then I'd only make 1 wheel and make copies in resin.

Totally agree! I'd also make a rotatable template for cutting the holes too. Just make one hole in the template and mark the wheel centre with the correct degrees to step it round to each following hole position. If you made ten wheel nut holes in the template you could even pin it in place on the centre for making each hole, or you could drill just one wheel nut hole in the template and use that to make each wheel nut hole on every second position...ah ha!

:wink:

garnet_garnet
12-23-2010, 08:05 PM
looks pretty close to these rims i found at local hobby shop (can't remember name, was an asian company $2 wheel set 1/24)

garnet_garnet
12-23-2010, 08:26 PM
why not commision one of the long-term members on the forum here, who has a lathe to cut a set for you

rallymaster
12-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Did someone pay attention to the fact that the rim designed by kaho shows 10 holes between spokes whereas all links and advices are for a 8 one...??! :sly: :screwy:
Maybe that's the reason of his particular demand... :naughty:
Just my :2cents: thought...

garnet_garnet
12-23-2010, 09:23 PM
glad you can count, cause reading owns you :screwy: says "pretty close" and wasn't advice to get, and thus suggestion #2 to commission someone to make...hmm, reading comprehension :rolleyes:

Did someone pay attention to the fact that the rim designed by kaho shows 10 holes between spokes whereas all links and advices are for a 8 one...??! :sly: :screwy:
Maybe that's the reason of his particular demand... :naughty:
Just my :2cents: thought...

rallymaster
12-23-2010, 11:52 PM
glad you can count, cause reading owns you :screwy: says "pretty close" and wasn't advice to get, and thus suggestion #2 to commission someone to make...hmm, reading comprehension :rolleyes:

"reading comprehension" ?? :eek7: :sly:
Hey you, as you want to be funny, just a guess:
How is a 8 holes so "pretty close" to a 10 one, or perhaps are you a kind of modeling magician...??
What will be really funny is to see you make the one design from the "pretty close" one given... :loser:
I don't think that someone who takes time to draw his rim, plans to sratchbuild it and ask here for advices hasn't many things to deal with your "pretty close" rim... And that's not "reading comprehension" but modeling comprehension, if you even know what it is.:flipa:
uhh yes, another thing more... You're not alone here, you may feel a bit rejected or misliked these Christmas days to react like that :attention from "pretty close" behind your computer but don't take everything for you, other people "pretty sympathic", them, also post here and - thanks god or anyone you want - do it without inevitably having to be rude or unpleasant...!! :shakehead
"reading comprehesion" he said... :mad: :mad: :moppie:
yes, if that pleases you let's say I don't understand anything... better than getting angry for some who even don't deserve it... :banhim:

klutz_100
12-24-2010, 05:29 AM
Thanks for any ideas.

I don't imagine that this isn't something that you haven't already thought of but - given the fact that already seem to have a great CAD file - wouldn't it be possible to give it to a 3D printing service to have a prototype made which you could then replicate in resin?

Just thinking out loud. This isn't something I have personal experience with.

Maybe Gionc or Geronimo might add some insight as I think they have used 3D printing services in the past?

Merry xmas! :bigthumb:

kaho
12-24-2010, 05:40 AM
I appreciate all the advices here but let's keep it friendly. Thanks to the guys who found me the sources of the 8 spoke rims, and good call rallymaster for the 8-spoke vs the 10-spoke.

At the time of drawing I was using a 10-spoke wheel rim as the subject and it is my ultimate goal. Of course, if school allows me to rapid prototype/turn this part or a good feasible scratchbuilding idea comes to mind, I could get exactly what I drew, but if I have to make my own using my usual method involving styrene cards, a dremel, PE saws, and my eyeballs (I don't have access to a lathe), or have to buy what is available in stores, it becomes a completely different game. At that point I am ready to accept some discrepancies between final product and my drawing, being limited on tools/skills/product availability.

As I was running around the city, having no luck with the wheel I want, and couldn't think out an efficient enough scratchbuilding method (3 round holes + 3 straight lines connecting them to make one triangular opening X 10 holes between spokes = 60 moves with all holes drilled perfectly) I have gone quite liberal on the amount of spokes in the final product I am getting. I still don't want a 5 or 6 spoke, but anything between that to 10 would give that look I am going for.

Once again, thanks for all the advices and care from everyone being put into this thread.

garnet_garnet: where in Alberta do you live in? The four stores I have been to in Calgary don't have anything like those being sold separately. For $2 I think it look acceptable as a base to modify from and fits the bill for my project based on an old carcass of my previously done model.

edit: Thanks klutz for the idea, and how did I forget this one thing...Merry Xmas all!

garnet_garnet
12-24-2010, 09:01 AM
wow, you are seriously immature...you post ignorant remarks without thinking then rant like this when it's refused...you 2nd post only proves your pathetic stature....you seriously need to GROW-UP!! :thefinger
so go back to your hole and rant at the people walking by...or what ever equally tantrum behavior you obviously partake :loser:

"reading comprehension" ?? :eek7: :sly:
Hey you, as you want to be funny, just a guess:
How is a 8 holes so "pretty close" to a 10 one, or perhaps are you a kind of modeling magician...??
What will be really funny is to see you make the one design from the "pretty close" one given... :loser:
I don't think that someone who takes time to draw his rim, plans to sratchbuild it and ask here for advices hasn't many things to deal with your "pretty close" rim... And that's not "reading comprehension" but modeling comprehension, if you even know what it is.:flipa:
uhh yes, another thing more... You're not alone here, you may feel a bit rejected or misliked these Christmas days to react like that :attention from "pretty close" behind your computer but don't take everything for you, other people "pretty sympathic", them, also post here and - thanks god or anyone you want - do it without inevitably having to be rude or unpleasant...!! :shakehead
"reading comprehesion" he said... :mad: :mad: :moppie:
yes, if that pleases you let's say I don't understand anything... better than getting angry for some who even don't deserve it... :banhim:

garnet_garnet
12-24-2010, 09:19 AM
the rallyguy idiotic ranting aside :screwy:...

...i wasn't suggesting you use the ones i pictured, only that it looked similar to ones i found local for cheap...i actually bought them just for the tires
so if you feel you could make use of them, i'll give them to you
i'm in calgary too

low tech method, you could vacu-form the basic 'cup' shape from sheet styrene stock, then trim the o.d., cut out the spokes, and add center disks

klutz is on the same track in the suggestion of having made for you, in order to be exact
i'm sure someone could spin them from styrene for just a few dollars, then you could cut the spokes out your self from there
locally i don't know anyone, or would suggest them to you, but these items would small enough to be mailed back to you within n.a.

I appreciate all the advices here but let's keep it friendly. Thanks to the guys who found me the sources of the 8 spoke rims, and good call rallymaster for the 8-spoke vs the 10-spoke.

At the time of drawing I was using a 10-spoke wheel rim as the subject and it is my ultimate goal. Of course, if school allows me to rapid prototype/turn this part or a good feasible scratchbuilding idea comes to mind, I could get exactly what I drew, but if I have to make my own using my usual method involving styrene cards, a dremel, PE saws, and my eyeballs (I don't have access to a lathe), or have to buy what is available in stores, it becomes a completely different game. At that point I am ready to accept some discrepancies between final product and my drawing, being limited on tools/skills/product availability.

As I was running around the city, having no luck with the wheel I want, and couldn't think out an efficient enough scratchbuilding method (3 round holes + 3 straight lines connecting them to make one triangular opening X 10 holes between spokes = 60 moves with all holes drilled perfectly) I have gone quite liberal on the amount of spokes in the final product I am getting. I still don't want a 5 or 6 spoke, but anything between that to 10 would give that look I am going for.

Once again, thanks for all the advices and care from everyone being put into this thread.

garnet_garnet: where in Alberta do you live in? The four stores I have been to in Calgary don't have anything like those being sold separately. For $2 I think it look acceptable as a base to modify from and fits the bill for my project based on an old carcass of my previously done model.

edit: Thanks klutz for the idea, and how did I forget this one thing...Merry Xmas all!

rallymaster
12-24-2010, 09:25 AM
wow, you are seriously immature...GROW-UP!! :thefinger

go back to your hole and rant at the people walking by...or what ever equally tantrum behavior you obviously partake :loser:

All fools think that their doctor are mad !!! :tongue:
Humm... So we could also think about what's hidden behind your second sentence concerning your own behaviour... :runaround: :evillol:
the one who is immature is the one who use internet as an existing way while he is hidden behind a computer and only have agressive and unpleasant comments to get attention.
That's what amaze me the most finaly (being treaten of immature by you is something really funny :iceslolan) but it's more afflicting than funny to know that some people only run internet to feel alive and think they are some kind of important and the center of the world (their own little shitty world for sure).
Most of us give advices and critics to a positive way, other can only come in to show they are here ! Sad... I feel sorry for your poor little double-garnet lost in your narrow minded world of recognition lack !! :disappoin

gionc
12-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Phil & Garnet: I don't think we're used to see this kind of comments wondering around a spoke design on here. Please let the discussion flush in the way we're used ;)

This said from a normal member that see the posts: I wouldn't like to steal the mod's job ;)

Kaho: if you aren't in a hurry I'll print something over late Gennuary, it would cost nothing together with my stuff.

rallymaster
12-24-2010, 09:33 AM
the rallyguy idiotic ranting aside :screwy:...

hahaaa we were missing next step but we finaly have it !! after agressivity please welcome insults !!

no no double-garnet, be sure that problem isn't your way to write and the ton of it but all other people simply are idiot... and of course immature !! :icon16:
hoohoohoooo too much funny...
And too much attention given to this weak-minded immature double-garnet, let's go to something really more interesting... for us not for him, for sure it's his quarter of glory himself...

rallymaster
12-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Phil & Garnet: I don't think we're used to see this kind of comments wondering around a spoke design on here. Please let the discussion in way we're used ;)

This say from a normal member that see the posts: I wouldn't like to steal the mod's job ;)

Kaho: if you aren't in a hurry I'll print something over late Gennuary, it would cost nothing together with my stuff.

That's precisely what I was doing till a pittbull started barking me above to having notice something in kaho's demand... :uhoh:
BTW mods cleaning would be appreciated in this case... I don't appreciate to be treaten like that by a poor unsignificant guy having felt here by hazard for having tried to help another repectable modeler. :rolleyes:

stratos75
12-24-2010, 04:17 PM
To kaho (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=262684): send me the CAD-model and I'll print this wheel on the next week.

hirofkd
12-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Think of it as a paper model. Styrene of 0.5 mm is flexible enough that you can bend it with your fingers, or by a pair of pliers. And I think 0.5 is a little too thin for this job.
Take 0.3mm or similar plastic, draw the pattern, and drill three holes, and use a sharp hobby knife to cut out a triangle. Then repeat until you have ten triangle, and also make 5 holes for the nuts, and small hole at the center (which will be enlarged later). Cut it out from the sheet, and use a conventional styrene glue to affix the piece to another circular styrene of 0.5mm (making the total of 0.8mm thick), and before the glue dries, bend the piece from all directions (leave the center area flat). Then, use the first piece as a template, and cut out ten triangles.

This two-piece method prevents the bent plastic from returning to its original shape. Once you have this initial bend, the rest is a matter of adjusting the angle.
If I were you, I'd make a jig out of styrene sheet by gluing a ring-shaped piece to another flat plastic with an alignment hole in the middle.
The size of ring-shaped piece is determined by the elevation angle (15 degree in your case), and you can do the calculation yourself.
Once all spokes are adjusted to the desired angle, and the glue is completely dry, remove the piece from the jig, and enlarge the alignment hole to the final size.

You might not be able to make a clean piece, but styrene is cheap, and the process doesn't take too long, so you can try several attempts until you get a clean part. (The key is to drill holes at precise locations.) After that, you can either copy the part with resin, or repeat the process several times to have a set of wheels entirely made of styrene (like make ten pieces and pick the best four).

If this doesn't work, I have two other "manual" methods I can share.

ales
12-25-2010, 03:09 AM
garnet_garnet,

It's not the first time you are being aggressive and insulting towards members, so since you're the common denominator it's reasonably safe to conclude it's you who's doing something wrong.

I strongly suggest you tone it down, quite a bit - there are better ways to debate with someone.

stratos75
12-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Your wheel is ready. Send me shipping address.
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5301/mikhailpetrenko.18/0_4c686_ed6eb65_L.jpg (http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/mikhailpetrenko/view/312966/)

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6000/mikhailpetrenko.18/0_4c687_c4fa414d_L.jpg (http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/mikhailpetrenko/view/312967/)

drunken monkey
12-27-2010, 03:13 PM
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5301/mikhailpetrenko.18/0_4c686_ed6eb65_L.jpg (http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/mikhailpetrenko/view/312966/)

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6000/mikhailpetrenko.18/0_4c687_c4fa414d_L.jpg (http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/mikhailpetrenko/view/312967/)

bravo!

stratos75
12-27-2010, 03:46 PM
bravo!
Thanks!
Only 5 minutes to prepare and 34 minutes of 3D printing. It needs to do small amount of hand works and will be ready for the copying.
To kaho: It's a Christmas present from Russia for you!

iharos
12-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks!
Only 5 minutes to prepare and 34 minutes of 3D printing. It needs to do small amount of hand works and will be ready for the copying.
To kaho: It's a Christmas present from Russia for you!

From Russia with love. :grinno: Sorry couldn't resist.

cinqster
12-27-2010, 08:10 PM

LOL...You rock! Any chance you can make me a Poljot Shturmanskie Gagarin that runs forever!!!!? :o)

Seriously dude!

willimo
12-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Wow! Technology! I was thinking like hirofkd. It's amazing what can be done now... I'm so stone age struggling with styrene bits and my X-acto knife....

garnet_garnet
12-28-2010, 01:36 PM
ales, you are plain wrong

read properly the thread from start, this rallyguy makes a first and continued posts of rudeness and pointless remarks

i won't be accosted in the attitude nor language as that has been posted by him

i am neither aggressive nor insulting other then in return, i will however not bear insult against me without warrant, and will reply

please don't make a post like this toward me, especially in lite of facts when is plainly and evident in thread the starter of rude and deliberate posts

i have put this to the mods, of rallymaster posts, and they will deal with it now

garnet_garnet,

It's not the first time you are being aggressive and insulting towards members, so since you're the common denominator it's reasonably safe to conclude it's you who's doing something wrong.

I strongly suggest you tone it down, quite a bit - there are better ways to debate with someone.

OnThePike
12-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Come on, guys, play nice. I'm closing this thread until your regular mods decide what's best here.

Add your comment to this topic!