Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake lights burning out

Fuddpucker
12-20-2010, 01:41 PM
I have a 99 Tahoe and I have had to replace the left side brake lite twice in the last two months....the receptacle was pretty funky so I cleaned it out the best I could, but I am off to buy a couple more bulbs. Could the flasher somehow be causing a voltage spike? The rest of the lights work fine.

danielsatur
12-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Do you use your flashers alot?
I would consider a new brand bulb, CRC electronic cleaner, and dielectric grease.

j cAT
12-20-2010, 02:19 PM
I have a 99 Tahoe and I have had to replace the left side brake lite twice in the last two months....the receptacle was pretty funky so I cleaned it out the best I could, but I am off to buy a couple more bulbs. Could the flasher somehow be causing a voltage spike? The rest of the lights work fine.

with the radio on am band do you hear the directionals thru the speaker ?

the flasher module has surge/voltage spike limiters. it would be a good idea to replace..these switching contacts would require surge supression to protect the lamps..

the lamp socket has OEM dielectric grease on the contacts..ya it looks funky BUT this is for maintaining the electrical conduction in a corosive environment....

the bulb you installed may be defective.

Add your comment to this topic!