Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Questions: Castrol Super Clean (CSC)

DSM-Mark
05-23-2003, 12:24 PM
This has probably all been discussed, but I can't find it. So, I'll ask some questions here, and hopefully this can be a good starting point for anybody wanting to use CSC to strip paint.

1: Do you dilute the CSC to strip paint?

2: What types of paint will it strip? ie, will it strip:
-enamels (Testors bottle, etc)
-acrylics (Tamiya acrylic, etc)
-lacquers (Tamiya's TS line, etc)
-automotive paints

How long does it take to strip each?

3: Has anybody ever melted/warped plastic by leaving it in a CSC bath for too long?

Any other questions, ask here! This thread is devoted to CSC!

Thanks, guys.

TheSyndicate
05-23-2003, 12:29 PM
Don't dilute it. Full strength strips in less time.

It WILL strip lacquers, but not very well. Brake Fluid (DOT3) is better for stripping lacquers. It will definitely remove any kind of enamels because the chemicals in CSC are degreasers. Acrylics are usually somewhat difficult to remove with any product, but will remove with csc.

cartuner
05-23-2003, 12:39 PM
Now this i can answer for you :)

#1. no you don't need to dilute it just pour it into a bucket and toss in the model.

#2 answer = enamels, acrylics, laquers(what i do for these is take a piece of sand paper and really screw up the paint so you can see the primer under it and the CSC will eat the primer allowing the laquer paint to be brushed right off. of yeah it eats flesh so wear gloves and a work shirt or a junky old t-shirt and if you feel so inclinded to wear googles to protect your eyes from splashes then go for it. better safe then sorry

#2b answer depends on how much paint there is on the part you are striping and how long it has been on the part/body. best soild answer i can give you is toss the model in and check on it every couple of hours or so until the piant starts to come off. it will also depend on the type of paint different paints take different times to strip off.

#3 my answer "No" i have never felt i needed to soak a part or body for that long of a time. all i can say is try not to get your self in to a place like that if you have a body/part soaking and you are going to be going out for such a long time just take the part/bodys out of the CSC and when you get home just toss them right back in.

Hope this helps you.

BaNe
05-23-2003, 12:46 PM
As already stated dont dilute it. You can use it several times before you throw it out. It will strip everything even "chrome" parts.

Jay!
05-23-2003, 01:11 PM
2. I've had some trouble stripping Lacquers with CSC. It's been a bitch to get certain TS sprays, Tamiya primer and Gunze spray lacquer off with CSC...

05-23-2003, 02:47 PM
I've had a body in my CSC box for over a year. It was fine when I finally had to take it out to put another body in it. I didn't even empty the box and it strips just as well even with multi-colored paint particles floating around in there.

Soak it as long as you can wait, the longer the better. Get an old soft toothbrush, wear gloves and goggles, and scrub away while the car is in the bath. Don't try to wash/scrub the paint off under running water. Water will neutralize CSC.

It'll etch aluminum big time so don't splash it near aluminum parts (like your full-sized car's wheels) in your garage. You won't see it until the surface is ruined.

Do not soak resin parts in CSC unless you want them to do a disappearing act.

Scratch up the paint surface before dunking it to give the CSC little crevices it can seep into and work faster.

Mean_B16
05-23-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
2. I've had some trouble stripping Lacquers with CSC. It's been a bitch to get certain TS sprays, Tamiya primer and Gunze spray lacquer off with CSC...

I have found the same results, I have had a hell of a time removing tamiya paint with CSC, oven cleaner will hopefully do the job.

Jay!
05-23-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Mean_B16
I have found the same results, I have had a hell of a time removing tamiya paint with CSC, oven cleaner will hopefully do the job. For them, I've switched to DOT3 brake fluid...

Honoturtle
05-24-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
For them, I've switched to DOT3 brake fluid...
Damnit! My Camaros primer didn't fully dissapear, so I decided to sand the sucker down, unfortunatly for the detail, most of it dissapeared...

Mainomega
05-24-2003, 03:48 PM
You can use ammonia...
It takes about 3 mins to eat all the paint. You can just leave it in a bucket and reuse it as needed. Doesn't melt plastic. BUT, dont breath it in or you'll loose some brain cells.

Add your comment to this topic!