Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Obd

bigryry
12-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Check engine light is on and i went to have my codes read from the mechanic that does work for me when i can't. He said they coudn't read the codes, the obd had power but the machines couldn'r read it. They tried 3 different OBD machines and still couldn't get the codes.
Any thoughts on this, anyone else had this problem..

01 windstar, 112k miles

mark_gober
12-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Do you have a scanner? If so, what does your scanner say? I currently have a similar problem. Mine reads "link error" when it tries to connect. I'm troubleshooting it now. There are posts on the forum that say some of these issues can be from leaking brake switches and other strange occurrences.

Please keep me informed if you find out a solution and I'll do the same.

Mark

bigryry
12-22-2010, 02:45 PM
No i don't, this was at the shop where i take it to sometimes, it did this once before and then i took it back a week later and it worked....

Then 2 weeks later for other work and it wouldnt work?? They used 3 different scanners. All were differnt brands..

12Ounce
12-22-2010, 04:27 PM
The most likely problem is fuse #17 being blown. If that is not the problem, get back to us ... since you have given your model year, someone will likely be able to help.

mark_gober
01-02-2011, 12:22 AM
When they connected to your vehicle, did the scanner turn on? If not, it's a blown fuse, as 12oz. noted. If it does and simply can't connect, you may have a network or computer issue. Read my recent post on how I tracked down my problem. It would be really nice if you had a scanner handy. Maybe you can borrow one from a buddy or get one as a loaner tool from a parts store.

Mark

bigryry
01-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Took it back and one scanner didn't work but another did... Weird.. They did check the fuse, it was working!

mark_gober
01-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Took it back and one scanner didn't work but another did... Weird.. They did check the fuse, it was working!

BigRyry,

I forgot to forward what I found out on mine. Mine turned out to be a marginal ABS module. I had tried for months to connect to mine and it would just say link error. I got serious about troubleshooting and started disconnecting all of the other modules that use the same two data wires that connects the DLC connector to the PCM. The first one I tried was the ABS module and it immediately connected.

Unfortunately, I reconnected and it still worked. I left it alone for a while and it would always connect....until last week. I went out and it gave me the link error again. I disconnected the ABS module connector and was able to connect again. ABS modules being as expensive as they are, I'm sort of trying to decide what I want to do. I do have access to a Windstar that I bought when the engine seized. I'm going to pop the ABS module out and put it into mine and see what happens.

Just thought I'd relay my findings.

Mark

bigryry
01-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Is that why my ABS light is on?

serge_saati
01-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Not necessary, it could be caused by a bad wheel sensor or bad abs pump. You can disconnect the abs module, and see if you can connect the code reader.

mark_gober
01-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Not necessary, it could be caused by a bad wheel sensor or bad abs pump. You can disconnect the abs module, and see if you can connect the code reader.

I concur. My ABS light comes on too. I replaced my front two wheel sensors and that didn't fix it. But in order to connect to my OBD, it was the unhooking of the ABS module that did the trick.

The ABS module is located underneath the vehicle, just below the driver. There is a plastic cover that is bolted in place over it...it'll have to be removed. The connector is sort of tricky because there is a latch that must be slid sideways before the connector will back out. Disconnect it and I bet you can connect to your OBD. If not, let me know and I'll get you the other modules that connect to your OBD wires.

Mark

bigryry
01-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the posts guys! for some strange reason it is scanning fine now (not complaining)!!

bigryry
01-30-2011, 02:54 PM
If i disconect the ABS module and the OBD sensor connects then is it a bad abs module??

It is weird, the scanner will connect on the small cheap one's but when you hook it up to a better scanner it will not connect??

serge_saati
01-30-2011, 03:46 PM
ABS module and PCM share the same twisted pair of network wires to connect. When there's too much noise in the ABS module, it can't connect. It happens sometime when ABS light is ON.
It's rarely caused by a bad module, but usually caused by a bad ABS sensor. Don't replace the module, just disconnect it to scan codes.

bigryry
02-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Disconnected and still won't scan:banghead:????:swear::swear::swear:

serge_saati
02-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Maybe you should try to disconnect other modules. Like cruise control, REM, FEM...

bigryry
02-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Tried disconnecting other modules and nothing, checked all the fuses again and nothing....WTF :swear:

serge_saati
02-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Try also to disconnect Instrument cluster.

bigryry
02-01-2011, 06:57 PM
For some reason all his mack scanners will not link but any other brand would, a freind of the shop owner who also owns a local garage brought his in and it linked and did a live scan.

They think the Mack scanners have a software problem with the windstar, he said he was going to call his rep..

Thanks for allt he posts!

Add your comment to this topic!