Turning Signal Issue

six cylinder
12-14-2010, 12:19 PM
I google searched automotiveforums.com and haven't found this particular issue posted.

I own a used 1998 Toyota Camry CE v6 4door

Initially when I bought the car, the problem was negligible, but over the years the problem seems to have gotten worse.

When you hit the lever for the turning signal, most of the time there will be a fast clicking and flashing on the dashboard, while the actual blinkers are not flashing at all.

I have to be very careful to make sure I only barely move the lever in the right direction, and then the turning signal will flash appropriately. Most people are not capable of using my car's turn signals, even when they're careful, because it takes such a gentle touch.

Anyway, is this a sensor issue? A computer issue? Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks!

(Also, unrelated but I thought I'd ask anyway. I read the FAQ about the camry sludge issue and my car falls into the gel-problem period. I'm having engine problems, and I am not sure whether they are sludge related. Should I go straight to the toyota dealer? Should I have a mechanic inspect the engine first? Is there an easy way to tell if the issue is really sludge?)

somick
12-14-2010, 01:17 PM
What year and model is your Camry?

It sounds like you are having problems with the switch. I have cleaned them on different cars. Not a big deal but you will need to pull the steerign wheel off.

I think that Toyota had sludge problems with 1999 or 2000 models. Not sure.

Good luck,

Sam

six cylinder
12-14-2010, 01:54 PM
what year and model is your camry?

Thanks for the feedback

1998 ce, I'll amend the op

Mike Gerber
12-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Toyota had sludge issues on both the I4 and the V6 engines in all the 4th generation Camrys; that's 1997-2001. If believe Toyota extended the warranty on these engines to cover sludge issues to 8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurred first. Your 98 is well beyond the 8 years.

As far as your particular engine is concerned, if you think you have a sludge issue a mechanic can tell easily by removing one of your valve cover gaskets and visually inspecting the engine there. He will opt for the front one on your V6; it's a lot easier than the rear one.

As far as your turn signal problem, it does sound like it's in the switch inside the steering wheel, as somick mentioned above.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!