Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Windstar power steering line routing...

82Stang
12-13-2010, 05:51 PM
1998 Ford Windstar 3.8L

I replaced a section of line on the return line hose, but had the pressure line off too. Ever since the low pressure line keeps blowing off the hose replacement, even when double clamped. I'm thinking I may have switched the lines by mistake, but not certain. Can anyone tell me where exactly each hose goes from pump or front to rack and identify the ports on the rack. Looking at the rack from the front of the car, there are two ports one above the other. Which is high, which is low? The way I have it, lower is low side and runs up around pump to front lower part of vehicle. And the top port I have as the high port going up directly to the pump and bolted on front. Is this correct?

Thanks for replying.

wiswind
12-14-2010, 07:55 PM
I tried looking this up last night......in my pictures, on alldatadiy, and the pictures of parts on the rockauto website.
I do not have any pictures that show this on my '96 windstar.....and I no longer have it to go out and look at (sold it this past spring).

The drawings that I look at seem to look like it is the top line, but they are not good drawings......to say the least.
The instructions on AlldataDIY mention dressing the high pressure line in from the top and the low pressure line in from the bottom, but that does not say much.

Hopefully, someone can provide more solid information.

82Stang
12-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks for looking Wis. Even having a vehicle in front of you, it's still hard to see. You'd have to get under it. I just can't seem to find any diagrams showing exactly which line goes where. Strange.

82Stang
12-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Called local Ford dealer. they didn't have a clearcut diagram either. Guy thought the lower port on the rack was the high pressure line and routes up to front to cooler down below. I don't know if that sounds right. Something seems amiss there, not sure.

Add your comment to this topic!