Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electrical problems

joshgreer2001
12-11-2010, 08:13 PM
My 1993 Buick Regal has a good battery and a good alternator (both less than a year old, both have been pulled out and tested), but the car loses enough power sitting over night that I need to jump it EVERY MORNING!
2 problems I need help with:
First, I have a drain on three circuits: electric, courtesy, and brakes)- if those are connected in any way, I'd love to know about it.
2nd, even when I pull the three fuses before parking the car it is still dead after 8 hours at work and I need to jump it every evening to drive home. I'm reading a 2 mA drain with the car off and the fuses pulled on the three circuits mentioned above. Any ideas what else can cause this?
Thanks very much!

Ralph123
12-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Are you sure you have a battery drain problem?
What is your battery voltage in the morning before starting your car?
What is your battery voltage after you turn your car off?

Here's some more info on battery drain.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/battery_runs_down.htm

Blue Bowtie
12-11-2010, 10:21 PM
If you disconnect the battery negative overnight, then reconnect in the morning, does the battery still have capacity?

joshgreer2001
12-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Ralph:
No, I'm really not sure exactly what the problem is.
The battery after I turn the car off reads 12.25 volts. After sitting an hour it still reads 12.25 volts. When running, the battery reads 14.8 volts.
I've not measured the morning voltage; I'll do that tomorrow.

Blue Bowtie:
I'll run your suggested test tomorrow night and get back to you.

Thanks for the suggestions folks! Hopefully this thing gets figured out.

Ralph123
12-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Sounds like you have a no start problem. Your starter seems good because it starts every time you jump the car. Check all your battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight. Check all the ground connections too. Do you have another battery you can swap out with? Take you battery back and have it load tested. They might let you try a new battery.

Add your comment to this topic!