Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 randezvous whistle

eaglehawk
12-09-2010, 02:11 PM
i just finished a trip of 1200 miles from snow and rain to cool weather in fl. i noticed a faint high pitched whistle while driving around town after trip. runs fine no messages from the computer. i started it up and opened hood but did not hear it. any ideas? should i have it looked at?:confused:
it turned out to be my alternator working overtime because the NEW battery i just purchased weeks ago was bad. as soon as i replaced it, no cost to me, the sound went away.

spike88
12-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Hi there...

My 2003 FWD RDV is starting to make similar whistle noise as well. So far, I think its internal Heater fan is going or perhaps its AC clutch pully is going. If wondering, my RDV only makes a noise when its heater / cooling switch is NOT on zero. When on "0" setting, no sound at all. Thus, why I think its the AC clutch - like the worn out AC clutch sound in our previous 2000 Sunfire (just before its AC clutch pulley was replaced). For now, we'll leave it - until its sound gets much louder (and easier to identify its location).

Hope this helps - some how....

spike88
07-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Update:

Been having a weird whistle when my 2003's AC system was turned on. Last week, its AC unit stopped working. After pressurized investigation, my local auto shop Tech discovered a small pin hole in one of its AC lines. Small pin hole what was screwing up its line pressure. This made the AC Compressor go on/off - which created some weird whistling noise (because it was working too much). They replaced the line, energized the system, fully tested and today, all now works great. No more whistling sound while its AC system is turned on. And, it now has instant cold air out its vents as well. The Tech said our 2003 had too much rust by its AC Condenser (its AC rad). While replacing the line, tt would either break the inlet (which means a new expensive AC condenser unit) or we'd be lucky and the WD-40 stuff works. We got lucky because the WD-40 worked great - that saved us over $600+ in repair costs.... Anyway.... Just wanted to advise the previous whistle under our RDV's hood is now gone... And, our 2003 is still using its factory expensive condenser (AC rad).

Add your comment to this topic!