Page updated on 11-21-2017

Head Gasket

Larryuidiot
12-09-2010, 09:40 AM
My son has a 2001 Integra Ls.He overheated it the other day and said it got into the red on the guage.He let it cool down and drove it home.Put some antifreeze in it and the next morning drove it to school with no problems.
The following day was real cold about 20.It wouldnt start ,I pulled a compression check and they were about 125 in each cyl.I changed out the plugs and did get it running.
He has been driving it but said it will overheat on him if he gets into it.He has a turbo on this.Its only overheating if he gets into it but it's 10 degrees out now.Said he thinks it will overheat always when it warms up.
WE changed the oil, antifreeze is good.I think the head gasket is blown but dont know why it doesnt overheat all the time.There is no water in the oil .
Hate to break it down and put a head gasket on if that isnt the problem.

danielsatur
12-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Have the tubro + catalytic converters checked.

Scrapper
12-09-2010, 07:52 PM
i agree on being the cat and yes probaly he blown a head gasket and maybe even a crack in the head it only take's one time to crack. good luck....

carlos2010
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
hi & happy new year

i have a 1.4 16v renault clio and it started with dark thick smoke coming out of the exhaust and lots of it (and smelly) i was advised to changed te plugs so i did and it did not help now i find myself changing the plugs every other day and the car is juddering and lacks power i find it hard to reach 50mph ... please can you help me
thanks

Scrapper
01-12-2011, 12:16 PM
check your oil and see if it has a milky look to it? if it has could be head gasket and anitfrezze if fowling out the plugs take one out see if it's wet with gas and anti frerezze. if theres oil on them souds like you need new rings or maybe valve seals. that smell you smell i'm leaning torward head gasket and maybe head. i doubt egr valve.

BLU CIVIC
02-05-2011, 10:00 PM
op, could be the thermostat. worst case could be water pump

Add your comment to this topic!