Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'97 Grand Prix loses all power

StevePT
12-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Hi All,

I have a '97 Grand Prix SE 3.1L w/ 175K miles. Yesterday evening I was at the gas station and turned off the car. The gas station attendant got the gas pumping (we have service gas here in Oregon :) ) and once she got it pumping I turned the ignition back to on to see my trip odometer and write the numbers down in my gas/mileage log book. Once the gas was done pumping and I got my receipt I turned the key to start and everything went black, no dash lights, headlights, nothing... I turned the key back to the off position and it was locked, meaning I couldn't get it back to the off position since there was no power at all coming to the solenoid lockout device.

I jiggled the key for awhile and then the orange light that shows up under the "P" (for park) turned back on. I turned the key back to the on position and all the lights came on, turned it to start and it started up just fine. Got the car home and had no issues.

Tonight I came home and when I turned the car off the radio didn't stay on. I turned the key back to the on position and everything was black, popped the hood and got out to check and see if battery cables were lose or if anything was out of the ordinary and there didn't seem to be. After about a minute I heard a click sound come from the Main Fuse panel on the passenger side wheel well. I went back and turned the key to on and sure enough everything was back on and the car started fine.

Background info... I replaced the ignition harness assembly about 3 months ago due to the contact for sending the signal to the starter corroding and I disassembled it a couple time and cleaned the carbon off, but after the third time it had starting problems I figured it was time for a new harness so I replaced it with an AC Delco harness from Rock Auto. It has never had this problem before where everything goes dead, so I think I have something going on in the fuse panel, but curious if anyone else has had a problem like this...

Thank you!

olopezm
12-07-2010, 09:00 PM
How old is your battery? It would be a good idea to get it load tested. I had similar symptoms with another car and the problem was a battery going out.

Best regards,

Oscar.

tblake
12-08-2010, 06:40 PM
That almost sounds like anothe go around with the ignition switch harness.

Although like Oscar stated, best to have the battery checked.

Also check the cables and connections for coorosion. Take the rubber covers off the battery terminal ends and inspect for corrosion between them.

richtazz
12-09-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm with Tim and Oscar. Always start simple, so checking the battery and cables condition is the first step. From your symptoms though, I agree with Tim that it sounds like a new ignition switch/harness assembly is in your future.

Add your comment to this topic!