Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Duplicating parts

ferrari2k
12-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi, I have a 1:18 diecast model of a Smart from Minichamps.
I already had one of these, during airbrushing the left door panel the paint reacted with the original paint. I tried to strip off the paint with thinner, but used too much.
Long story short, it totally warped and doesn't look very good ;)
Before I start airbrushing the new model I would like to make a duplicate of the door panel, but I do not know, how to do that, what to use.
Can somebody help me finding my way? I have never done that and I do not want to spend hundreds of dollars, this should be a one time job :)
Any help is highly appreciated.

ferrari2k
12-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Hm, no one to help? :(

rallymaster
12-08-2010, 01:37 PM
you should post a picture of what you're that part, it's hard to advise not seeing what we're talking about exactly.

klutz_100
12-08-2010, 01:53 PM
TBH I really don't understand your problem. As Phil says, without photos it's hard to say anything.

But my best guess right now is that your cheapest options are going to be to make one (or two) new door panels with styrene plastic or just but a new/used 2nd diecast on ebay for the part (unless they cost 100$?)

ferrari2k
12-08-2010, 02:03 PM
TBH I really don't understand your problem. As Phil says, without photos it's hard to say anything.

But my best guess right now is that your cheapest options are going to be to make one (or two) new door panels with styrene plastic or just but a new/used 2nd diecast on ebay for the part (unless they cost 100$?)
OK, for a pic:
http://ferrari2k.dyndns.org/modell/Metallmodelle/1_18/Smart%20Coupe%202007/PICT0001.JPG
The left door panel is removable, about 1mm thick.
My problem is, I have no idea how to start. I think I will press the door into some kind of clay and fill that out with liquid plastic of some kind, but I have no idea if that way is correct :)
Additionally I have never worked with styrene and I think I cannot bend them, I think they are just plastic plates?
So I would have to create that roundness by putting several plates over another and then create that step. I don't think I have the skills for that to look right :)

klutz_100
12-08-2010, 02:22 PM
I know I'm dumb :) but that photo didn't help me very much

Are you trying to replicate the whole door? (Isn't that metal on a die-cast?)

Or are you trying to replicate the interior door panel (where window cranks etc are located)?

In either case, it'd be best to show a photo of the actual damaged part you are trying to replicate rather than one of the whole car :thumbsup:

jano11
12-08-2010, 03:58 PM

You're not the only one who thought that after seeing the picture.

klutz_100
12-08-2010, 04:00 PM
You're not the only one who thought that after seeing the picture.

So does that make us "Dumb and Dumber"...? ;) :D

hirofkd
12-08-2010, 06:40 PM
My understanding is that you have two models, and want to use the clean one to create a new color trim for the messed-up one.

If so, the easiest solution that I can think of is to use casting clay, modeling clay, or even paper clay to copy the contour of the body side with the color trim in place. Once the mold is hardened, apply a thin coat of polyester putty (aka. automotive body filler) to the mold. Once the putty is cured, shave off any excessive putty, then sand, smooth, prime, sand again and polish the surface to match the finish of bare plastic before painting..

Alternately, you can apply putty to the mold, and press it against the body without the color trim until the putty hardens (takes only 5 minutes). In this case, you'll have to pry the putty loose for clean up, but the part should be less flexible, and it should look closer to the desired shape.

Or, apply a greater amount of polyester putty to the mold to create a male mold, clean it up (make it smaller by the thickness of styrene), and use one of either heat-and-smash or vacuum forming methods to make a styrene copy. (Google "heat smash canopy" to get a better idea.)

Plumberboy
12-08-2010, 06:55 PM
http://smcbofphx.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rs

Interested in resin casting?? Here is a link to my resin projects on another board. Jump to page 2 and start reading at the bottom entry. This was my first entry. I hope you find this informative.

ferrari2k
12-09-2010, 07:23 AM

Are you trying to replicate the whole door? (Isn't that metal on a die-cast?)

Or are you trying to replicate the interior door panel (where window cranks etc are located)?

In either case, it'd be best to show a photo of the actual damaged part you are trying to replicate rather than one of the whole car :thumbsup:

Hi, I am sorry I was not clear enogh :)
I only want to replicate the door panel (the blue one).
Perhaps you can see the door panel more clearly here:
http://www.modellautocenter.de/epages/15483938.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15483938/Products/MIN150036300&ViewAction=ViewProductDetailImage
As I said, this panel is removable and about 1mm thick.
Thanks for any help and sorry for confusing you :)

EDIT:
Here is a picture of the actual car, showing the "step" in the door:
http://image.europeancarweb.com/f/8984745/0704_ec_27_z+2007_geneva_auto_show+brabus_smart_ca r_convertible_profile_view.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!