Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

It's cold out, and I have a window down. Help?

Mr. Cynical
12-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Evening, folks.

Driver side window switch is busted. I think the rocker is shot, it goes down, but feels spongy on the up side. It's 15 degrees out!

So, anyone know how to jumper the thing? I have to get that up till I get paid!

702VegasLife
12-06-2010, 05:54 PM
That happened in my gf's jeep... used two door stoppers to hold it up till we had money to fix it.. GHETTO :rofl: But it works...
Hope everything works out !

Blue Bowtie
12-06-2010, 07:01 PM
What year?

BTW - 70 miles west of you it was 0° this morning. 15° would have been bikini weather. Quitcher bichin'... ;)

You'll likely have to pop the console out of the armrest. The year will determine what wire colors to jumper out or how to repair the switch. There's little else to do since it's the driver side window.

This is from a 2001 W-Body. Other years will differ:

http://www.wwdsltd.com/files/2001W-BodyWindowSwitchDetail.jpg

The toggle can weaken and the contacts can get damaged from moisture. Sometimes they can be repaired, as in this case.

Mr. Cynical
12-07-2010, 02:44 AM
What year?

Well, that's my bad! 1999 GTP Sedan

Mr. Cynical
12-07-2010, 08:24 AM
And now I have an interview in 90 minutes, ha! It's allllllll turrible, turrible.

Did I mention it's my birthday tomorrow? lol

richtazz
12-07-2010, 09:33 AM
when my switch started to go, I used a bobby pin to depress the brass rocker until I got it replaced. What most likely broke is the little spring loaded fingers that are attached to the button that depress the rocker to make contact. As I remember, when the switch is rocked forward, it actually pushes the back of the brass contact down, so it may take some experimentation, but it should get the window up until a replacement switch can be installed.

Mr. Cynical
12-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Well, new development.

In attempting to make a jumper, something went sparky. Now, there's no juice at all to the windows. The mirror assemblies are still operating, there's just nothing going on with the windows at all. I tried to swap in the circuit breaker for the seat into the window slot, but nada.

Someone tell me I am going to be able to get this window back up! :) If I just destroyed the electrical system, I'm going to take a very large hammer to my baby and reprogram it to be scrap metal.

Mr. Cynical
12-07-2010, 01:16 PM
And it's up. I guess the circuit breaker just wanted to be reseated or something. Go figure!

Once I got the console out and opened it, I saw much what Blue Bowtie mentioned. It was definitely the rocker switch wasn't acting springy anymore. I couldn't really tell if there was a good way to fix it, so I ended up using the method richtazz mentioned (again, thank you both), and can now drive my car without fear of frostbite.

I'll get some snazzy pictures when I tear it back up for replacement.

It seems like every time I run into a problem, AF is always able to help me get it straightened out! Thanks guys!

richtazz
12-09-2010, 01:02 PM
you are very welcome Mr Cynical, glad we could be of assistance!

Add your comment to this topic!