Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Snow Tires

JonJon68
12-05-2010, 07:26 PM
I purchased a set of snow tires last week and since Saturday, we've been getting a ton of lake effect snow here in good old Southwest, MI. I should have bought a set many Winters ago. These tires are biting excellent through this snow and ice, not even spinning my tires nor activating my Trac Light.
The all season tires were just not getting the job done. Even when new, my all seasons would slip and slide. Just wanted to share my cold, snowy experience. Bob, again, I'll send some of this junk down to you... LOL.......

grandprixgtx00
12-05-2010, 07:46 PM
you could at least tell us which tires you went with :p

JonJon68
12-05-2010, 08:14 PM
LoL..A local Tire Store was running a special so I went with four Yokohama IG20's. $450.00 out the door. I did lot's of research before making a decision and the only concern I have for this particular tire is the tread life. So far, the performance definitely outweighs my tread life concern. If we have a early Spring, I'll have my all seasons remounted by March.

tblake
12-06-2010, 09:31 AM
You could buy a set of cheapo junk rims from any GM FWD and throw your snow tires on them and keep you all seasons on your good rims. Then switching them out is as easy asa tire rotation.

And I agree Bob should get some snow! We got about 6 inches in MN on friday. I just love i..... NOT

JonJon68
12-06-2010, 09:39 AM
I thought about that Tim but just storing my all seasons in plastic until I remount. The shop will do that for me in Spring.

BNaylor
12-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Bring it on. :lol:

Yesterday I was in a short sleeve shirt. We're in the low 70's during the day. Warm December even for down here.

BTW - All season tires work fine here. Anyone still using snow chains up North?

JonJon68
12-11-2010, 12:27 PM
LoL...Glad you're enjoying the weather Bob. As far as I know chains are only allowed even required when traveling through the Rockies. Not sure about parts of the Appalachians.

tblake
12-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Bob you dirty son of a gun!!!

I havn't had a weekend off in a month. Seems like the past few friday/saturday's its been snowing. And I dont mean like an inch. Its usually half a foot at a time. Shoveling that crap and driving in it just sucks. I'd be fine if it were just me on the road, but the other people (especially 4x4 owners) are so inconsiderate. They insist on riding your butt because they think they are invincible. Well I got news, 4wd doesn't help you stop. Funny on my way home today I counted 4 vehicles in the ditch. All were 4x4. The GTP made it no problems. Slow and steady wins the race.

Otherwise, we just got probably 8 inches where I live with snow drifts as high as my waist. Coupled with 30-40mph wind and a temp of 0 degrees or less with the "wind chill".

Have any nice homes for sale in your area Bob? I'm seriously considering it. If only I had a job lined up I'd be there.

danielsatur
12-11-2010, 07:16 PM
You could save 50% more by just putting on the front, because of FWD.

grandprixgtx00
12-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Otherwise, we just got probably 8 inches where I live with snow drifts as high as my waist. Coupled with 30-40mph wind and a temp of 0 degrees or less with the "wind chill".

not to mention, the metrodome collapsed last night!

We got a total of 21" over this weekend in my area. Just crazy!

tblake
12-15-2010, 10:32 AM
HAHA, yeah. I saw that! One thing is for sure, the Vikings do not deserve a new stadium. Heck, the repairs on the dome should be fixed by them, out of their pockets. Why should the tax payers have to pay a new stadium. Even the Twins didn't deserve Target Field. Heck, they can't even beat the Yankees once.

grandprixgtx00
12-15-2010, 08:54 PM
One thing is for sure, the Vikings do not deserve a new stadium. Heck, the repairs on the dome should be fixed by them, out of their pockets. Why should the tax payers have to pay a new stadium.

That's what I've been saying all along! THANK YOU! :1:

doctorhrdware
12-15-2010, 11:46 PM

I haven't had a weekend off in a month. Seems like the past few Friday/Saturday's its been snowing. And I don't mean like an inch. Its usually half a foot at a time. Shoveling that crap and driving in it just sucks. I'd be fine if it were just me on the road, but the other people (especially 4x4 owners) are so inconsiderate. They insist on riding your butt because they think they are invincible. Well I got news, 4wd doesn't help you stop. Funny on my way home today I counted 4 vehicles in the ditch. All were 4x4. The GTP made it no problems. Slow and steady wins the race.

Have any nice homes for sale in your area Bob? I'm seriously considering it. If only I had a job lined up I'd be there.

I agree and he is a wiener too.

BNaylor
12-18-2010, 09:37 AM

Hey man I'm still waiting for the snow. Send me some via UPS. I'll pay for the S/H charges. :rofl:

Tim, we have a few homes for sale in my area but they don't last. What price range?

tblake
12-18-2010, 09:46 AM
160k ish. Give or take. We went and looked at one a few days ago. It was nice but small, and the garage was just not the size i'd like. You wouldn't want me in your neighborhood..... :) I don't think anybody does.

BNaylor
12-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Tim, what square footage for living space less garage? Land/acreage? $160K where you are is probably cheaper here depending or you will get more bang for the buck.

JonJon68
12-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Yea...Whatever...I see that bubble of warm air sitting right over you down there when I watch the weather Bob......I'll send a semi refrigerated truck full of snow Bob. Wondering what the S/H would be for that? LoL

tblake
12-18-2010, 07:15 PM
2000 square foot or so Bob, at least 2 car garage, rambler with basement, 1+ acre.

That would be ideal.

BNaylor
12-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Yea...Whatever...I see that bubble of warm air sitting right over you down there when I watch the weather Bob......I'll send a semi refrigerated truck full of snow Bob. Wondering what the S/H would be for that? LoL

:lol:

I just need a small sample Paul. In most cases we'll get some snow here just a matter of when. Believe it or not we have a nice mountain resort area about 80 miles North of us in Ruidoso/Cloudcroft New Mexico with skiing areas. Lincoln National Park area.

BTW - Speaking of tires in general the Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance tires are bad a%$. We just put them on my son's GXP. $178 each. But obviously a hi-performance summer tire.

00GTP4ME
12-21-2010, 10:46 AM
You wouldn't want me in your neighborhood..... :) I don't think anybody does.

Move here Tim! :biggrin:

JonJon68
12-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Haha....Tim, you're young and very enthusiastic! You would be more than welcome in my area...Besides....You could help when I need a repair done...LoL.:runaround:

JonJon68
12-21-2010, 01:23 PM
You could save 50% more by just putting on the front, because of FWD.

One of the other big questions drivers have is whether they need snow tires for all four tires? The answer is yes. Ideally, you should put "four" snow tires on the vehicle because the axle set that has the regular tires on it will not be able to maintain the same level of traction and consequently those wheels will slip and slide.

If the snow tires are on the front, the rear of the vehicle will tend to spin out, which is the worst case possible. If the snows are on the rear, the front will tend to push or slide, instead of turning. So four snow tires are best.

olopezm
12-21-2010, 05:16 PM
You wouldn't want me in your neighborhood..... :) I don't think anybody does.

Oh man, I wish I could have a neighbor with at least half the attitude and knowledge you or any other user have. Where I live people calls the technician just to replace a lightbulb!; now that's gay... :rofl:

I'm the noisy neighbor here :iceslolan

Regards,

Oscar.

tblake
12-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Noise? You ain't seen nothin yet..... B B B B Baby you just aint seen N N N N Nothin yet!

I like fireworks, loud music, beer, late nights, and loud cars. Nuff Said.

Looking for a new job and trying to buy a house. In the meantime, anyone know anyone selling a 67 chevelle SS convertible? Any condition. As long as its an SS convert and the Title proves it.

tblake
12-21-2010, 06:18 PM
BTW, thanks for the comments guys, your making my head big.

BNaylor
12-31-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks Paul. And I didn't have to pay for shipping on the snow. It finally snowed here. A few inches and hovering around 33 degrees, lows in the 20s. No issues with traction so the all season tires work fine. I actually had to use the ice scraper on the windshield today. :runaround:

BTW - The SunBowl Football game with Notre Dame and Miami Hurricanes kicks off here today at 2:00 pm MST. What an oxymoron...SunBowl??? No sun that I've seen today. :rofl:

richtazz
12-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Paul, you just live on the wrong side of the mitten, of course you probably don't fear getting shot at like we do on the thumb side...LOL!

Tim, I don't see any problems with what you mentioned, unless you do it a 3am on a Tuesday, then I might have to kill you (or start my Harley under your bedroom window...:biggrin:).

Bob, we've actually had a thaw the last couple of days. Today it was almost 50 with thunderstorms, but back to a high of 21 on Sunday. Ah yes...weather in Michigan in January...:screwy:

Scrapper
12-31-2010, 03:48 PM
i got a full size dodge dakota i bought them with rim's and all there m&s there master craft made by cooper like new for $40.00 for all 4 and i'm not complainting i was suprised of how they go in the snow and i dono if they make them anymore? looked them up and sounds like you can still get them. don't know if tread are the same. now my s-10 have all season and smaller truck they spin easy in snow and there cornells made by cooper.

BNaylor
01-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Bob, we've actually had a thaw the last couple of days. Today it was almost 50 with thunderstorms, but back to a high of 21 on Sunday. Ah yes...weather in Michigan in January...:screwy:

Rich, we're thawing out down here. Nice and sunny again. :runaround:

Although the SunBowl Football game was considered a success imo a big flop. Miami played poorly against Notre Dame but I guess they didn't expect to play in 30 degree weather yesterday. Coldest and poorest weather on record for the SunBowl over the past 10 years. Highs were never below 50.

JonJon68
01-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Paul, you just live on the wrong side of the mitten, of course you probably don't fear getting shot at like we do on the thumb side...LOL!

Tim, I don't see any problems with what you mentioned, unless you do it a 3am on a Tuesday, then I might have to kill you (or start my Harley under your bedroom window...:biggrin:).

Rich, I live in Benton Harbor, I dodge a bullet from time to time. :eek: I seen Bob's weather on the news and I had friends who were in your area, when they returned home they told they told me was like 75 degrees one day then snow and cold the next. That sounds like Michigan. But you rebound and stay mild, no such luck here.

tblake
01-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Rich, why can I make noise all other hours of the night except at 3am on a tuesday? If I get ut your way I may roll by your place with the rig and downshift with the jake brake on just to say hi.

Add your comment to this topic!