2004 Durango Hyd lifter question

fireplow
12-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I've got a 2004 Durango with the 5.7 Hemi Last week when starting it a very high pitch knock noise come from under the hood the sound was faster than the motor turing and not the deep sound of a rod or main bad it was fast and tinty sounding. I i'm thinking hyd lifter any other thoughts

Thanks
Leonard

N8ECH
12-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Leonard:

Does the engine seem to run rough? Does the noise change at all as the engine warms up? From what you describe, I am wondering if you have an idler pulley or belt tensioner on the way out.

In any case, you need to look into this sooner than later given the history of valve train issues with the 04-05 5.7 engines.

During that period, some of the valve springs fail eventually allowing a valve to drop into the cylinder. When that happens you can kiss the motor goodbye.

Possibly you have one that it on its way out. Catching before it goes completely will save the engine.

Don

fireplow
12-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Well don't know what just happend but the motor is toast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crying:

Thought the noise was on the right bank removed the valve cover inspeced the lifters and valves all good started it up the noise was there then it almost quit. Thats about the time the rod come thru the side of the block on the left bank. :crying: I'll guess i'll be looking for a motor in the junk yard now

Thanks
Leonard

P.S. By ther way the motor was running fine wasn't missing or anything

N8ECH
12-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Wow Leonard:

That is some very sad news. How many miles were on it again?

I would be careful of a salvage yard motor lest you end up with another problem motor.

There are many other sources for replacements, and Dodge will sell you a 5.7 short block with warranty for ~$1400.00

Sounds like it was only a matter of time. At least you were not rolling down the road at 60 when it went.

Don

fireplow
12-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Well it had a 130,000 on it Will have to tear into it to see what did come loose But that will have to wait till it gets just a little warmer I'll let you know if a short block will work or not. I'm thinking it was and hopeing that it was a wrist pin and not a valve that would be better.

thanks
Leonard

N8ECH
12-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Leonard:
What is the build date of your D? Mine was built in Jan of 04 and the engine died in Sept. of 2008 at 39K.

Hope you are going to drop another motor in it and keep on trucking. I am at 64.4k, and enjoying it every day.

Don

fireplow
12-29-2010, 06:54 PM
I don't bulid date on it off hand but this has 130k+ on it and yes I will be dropping another one and keep on trucking

Thanks

N8ECH
12-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Leonard:

Build date is on the drivers front door on the sticker. Just curious if it was made about the same time as mine which could explain the engine issue.

Although, mine died at 39k and yours made it to 130k.

Don

Add your comment to this topic!