Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 LeSabre antifreeze type?

spowel4
12-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I just picked up a 1989 LeSabre out of necessity and the coolant level is so low I can't tell if it's green or orange. No owner's manual to refer to. Can someone tell me if it takes the green coolant or the orange? Thanks!

maxwedge
12-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Regular old green will do.

happydog500
12-05-2010, 09:09 PM
For nearly a decade, vehicle manufacturers have been introducing and using a variety of extended-life coolants. The only thing these coolants have in common is that they all seem to differ in formulation and color. There are orange coolants, green coolants, blue coolants, red coolants, yellow coolants, even pink ones. The proliferation of different coolant types has created a great deal of chemical confusion with motorists and technicians about what type of antifreeze should be used to top off or refill late-model cooling systems.

You cannot go by the color of the dye in the coolant because two coolants with similar colors may have different chemistry, and two coolants with different colors may have similar chemistry. What is more, colors can change if somebody tops off the system with a different coolant.

There is no universal standard establishing the dye color for different types and manufacturers of antifreeze. While GM’s branded coolant is orange, Ford’s recommended coolant color is yellow. But even this knowledge does not account for the many aftermarket coolants available with varying degrees of protection, and in every color of the spectrum.

To avoid the confusion, I like to use the type that mixes with all the types.

Chris.

spowel4
12-06-2010, 06:09 PM
I ended getting a couple of gallons of the 50/50 stuff that's supposed to mix with any type antifreeze. It took a full gallon.

happydog500
12-08-2010, 06:31 PM
It personal preference, but I like the stuff that mixes with everything also. Seems like a gallon could be a lot. Wonder how it got low, and how long it was low?

Chris.

danielsatur
12-08-2010, 06:36 PM
If 21years old and running on green, stay Green!

It's time for a flush anyways, make sure the shortage of coolant isn't because of a leak.

spowel4
12-08-2010, 06:54 PM
I've checked the antifreeze level in the overflow tank every day since I filled it up and it's staying pretty level. Must be a slow leak. Now that I've driven it for a few days and had some time to get used to it a little bit more, I realize I can smell antifreeze inside the car so I guess it's got a leaky heater core?

danielsatur, I agree, it's time for a flush and fill.

danielsatur
12-08-2010, 07:06 PM
1) If leaking, replace any bad hose's.
2) Flush, and back flush heater core without thremostat.
3) Consider metallic block seal, blue angle, or http://www.steelseal.com
4) New thermostat
5) New coolant.

Jrs3800
12-15-2010, 06:37 AM
If the heater core is leaking bypass it or replace it... Sealant is not going to fix the heater core it may only be a temporary solution...

As for coolant there is nothing wrong with him using All Makes All Models, it will not hut the car or any of its systems in the least...

To the OP, have the intake gaskets ever been done? 21 years is a long time for nylon gaskets to hold up on any engine...

spowel4
12-18-2010, 06:53 AM
If the heater core is leaking bypass it or replace it... Sealant is not going to fix the heater core it may only be a temporary solution...

As for coolant there is nothing wrong with him using All Makes All Models, it will not hut the car or any of its systems in the least...

To the OP, have the intake gaskets ever been done? 21 years is a long time for nylon gaskets to hold up on any engine...

Does anyone know if a heater core out of a '99 LeSabre will work in this '89 LeSabre? The reason I got this '89 is because I wrecked the '99 and it's no longer driveable. I'm pretty sure the heater core needs to be replaced, like I said before I can smell antifreeze inside the car when I'm driving it. I know better than to try sealants, they're temporary at best and cause blockages and other problems at worst. Of course that's just my opinion but feel free to make it yours. As far as the intake gaskets I'm not sure but I can ask the previous owners. Back to the heater core, how big of a job am I looking at to replace it?

big white bufflo
12-18-2010, 07:25 AM
the 99 will not fit beside the time it take to remove the 99 it would be better to buy new i look at as put a price on your time and a peice of mind that you have a new part there you wont have to touch it again for a long time

Add your comment to this topic!