Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel door about to fall off

guitarfish
12-04-2010, 06:38 PM
My '02 Prix's fuel door is hanging by a thread. Lots of rust has taken a toll.

The exterior part of the door, which is painted the body color, looks great. However, it appears to be all once piece with the hinge part. Does anyone know if I can get a replacement hinge, and use my existing door? Otherwise I assume I'd have to have a new door painted to match.

Thanks.

TDWPgtp
12-10-2010, 12:21 PM
good luck with that! those fuel doors are a b***. my hinge was wearing out and rusted so it was sagging a little bit...i tried to replace the pin that the hinge rotates on, but there didnt appear to be anything i could do. to fix my problem (or at least alleviate the symptoms) i got some magnettic snaps (from a girls purse) and one side to the door and the other side to the body where the door lines up. it is out of sight and lines the door up perfectly. it also takes the load of the doors weight off of the hinge. it held for about a year (throughout a winter), and fell off a few weeks ago. i have yet to re-glue it however.

in my opinion, its a very simply way to fix it, just make sure you do a good job glueing the magnets on

guitarfish
12-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I duct taped the door closed the other day so it wouldn't fall off, lol. Today I took the duct tape off, and the door literally fell out in my hand. Good, at least I don't have to worry about losing it. I'll probably order a hinge from the dealer, and mess around with it someday when I'm totally bored. :runaround:

TDWPgtp
12-12-2010, 03:08 PM
:runaround: so it was litterally about to fall of ha. mine was merely sagging when i fixed it. well good luck with that, i dont think it will be an easy project...

Add your comment to this topic!