Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Grand Prix GT: Did They Install a New Fuel Pump or Just Tell Me They Did?

rhaltunen
12-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I have a 2000 Grand Prix GT with the 3.8 liter engine. How can I tell if a new fuel pump was actually installed? I looked at the top of it from the access panel but can't really tell. It is an Airtex E3537M. They said they put one in but who knows?

JonJon68
12-04-2010, 10:38 AM
What was wrong with your fuel pump you replaced? Are you concerned that your replacement fuel pump is a used one? How much did it cost to replace it..

tblake
12-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Airtex is not a genuine GM part, so unless you had the pump replaced in the past with an Airtex, chances are they replaced it.

Plus if you can read the top of the pump after removing the access cover, then I'd have to say its been replaced. Usually they are so caked with dirt and dust that nothing it visable.

rhaltunen
12-04-2010, 11:32 AM
What was wrong with your fuel pump you replaced? Are you concerned that your replacement fuel pump is a used one? How much did it cost to replace it..

The car would barely start and when it did it would barely run. If you stepped on the gas from the parked position, it would stall out.

They told me the diagnostic tests(codes) were showing it was the fuel pump. I was concerned that they didn't replace it at all and just replaced some other inexpensive part but charged me $500 for a new pump.

After looking at it closely though, I do believe they gave me a new one. I was a bit concerned though because I just had them put in a new alternator for $220 and new upper plenum gaskets, valve cover gaskets and grommets, pcv valve, engine degrease for $750.

The car has 146,000 miles and is in good shape. I figured it was cheaper to have this work done than to go out and try to find a reliable used car somewhere. I have owned her since 2002 and am quite attached.

rhaltunen
12-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Airtex is not a genuine GM part, so unless you had the pump replaced in the past with an Airtex, chances are they replaced it.

Plus if you can read the top of the pump after removing the access cover, then I'd have to say its been replaced. Usually they are so caked with dirt and dust that nothing it visable.

Good point. It was spotless and now that I look at it more closely, dirt and grime would definately get up there and show it's age if it was old.

Ralph123
12-04-2010, 07:13 PM
How can I tell if a new fuel pump was actually installed?

You should always tell the mechanic to save you all the old parts.

tblake
12-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I find it odd that they told you that "codes" pointed to a fuel pump. There is not a single code that will tell you a fuel pump it bad. Maybe a fuel pump circuit, but even then, its only pointing to the relay control circuit. The PCM doesn't monitor the actual fuel pump circuit to my knowledge.

Have they or you checked fuel pressure?

Also try unplugging the MAF sensor and start it like that.

Add your comment to this topic!