Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

gas cap question

valente
12-03-2010, 06:58 AM
I noticed 2 weeks ago that my gas cap would not tighten down,it just turns and turns.it doesnt come of if i try to pull it,it will come of if i turn it the opposite way,but if i try to tighten it up it wont tighten.do i need a new cap or im good the way it is.
thanks

richtazz
12-03-2010, 01:43 PM
you may need a new cap. It has to be properly tightened, or it will trip an emissions trouble code. At first I read this wrong. I read it as saying you couldn't get it off unless you pulled on it. These caps have a ratchet cam in them to prevent them from being overtightened, so they will turn indefinitely if you don't stop.

valente
12-03-2010, 03:23 PM
so its time for a new cap.never knew about the ratchet cam,do all cars have that or just some.
can i buy a new cap at any autoparts store,or someone knows a store that i can order it online.
thank you

richtazz
12-03-2010, 03:38 PM
If you have no check engine light on, and the cap distinctly clicks as you turn it, then you shouldn't need a new one. If it doesn't click as you tighten it, or if your CEL is on, then it may be time for a new one.

valente
12-03-2010, 06:02 PM
it does click every time i try to tighten it down.before i would do like 1 or 1 1/2 turns and it would tighten down but now it just turns(and clicks every time i turn it).
no i dont have any check engine lights on.

BNaylor
12-04-2010, 06:06 PM
The ratcheting sound while tightening is normal for all GM gas caps. If it doesn't make the sound then you have an issue. You can remove the gas cap when turning removing/counterclockwise? Also, when you turn counterclockwise about 1/4 turn and release does the cap spring back to the right?

valente
12-09-2010, 11:47 AM
The ratcheting sound while tightening is normal for all GM gas caps. If it doesn't make the sound then you have an issue. You can remove the gas cap when turning removing/counterclockwise? Also, when you turn counterclockwise about 1/4 turn and release does the cap spring back to the right?
i dont mind the ratcheting sound,i was just woried about the cap not tighten down and have a high fuel use.
and the cap doesnt spring back after th 1/4 turn.
if its no big deal than i wont enven bother with it.
thank you for the help

BNaylor
12-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Although it doesn't appear to be causing any issues best to replace the gas cap. It is not acting properly. The gas cap should not cause high fuel consumption and if bad would give off an evaporative emissions code (DTC).

Higher fuel consumption during the winter months is normal. What is your current in city and highway mileage?

valente
12-12-2010, 07:15 PM
sorry for the late reply,but we got hammered with a bunch of snow and been shoveling all day:runaround:
i just order the cap today,just to be on the safe side
thanks for the help

Add your comment to this topic!