Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Another Lumina won't start

gmbwrenchn
12-02-2010, 09:35 PM
2001 Lumina. Here's my scenario : Turn the key and nothing happens. Lights do NOT go dim. Battery is good. Been having some earlier symptoms where there was a pause, when I turn the key, before it would turn over. Starter? Possible other problem? Anything I can check first before running out to get a $200 starter? Thanks.

maxwedge
12-03-2010, 08:12 AM
See if you have 12v to the starter solenoid when holding the key in the crank position, 2 man job of course.

jeffcoslacker
12-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Couple of times a year mine does this. I keep a hammer in the trunk. I whack the starter a couple of times and it fires right up.

Been doing this with GM cars for what? 30+ years now?

I know it needs a starter, but I just can't bring myself to buy one unless it quits altogether....I'm kinda cheap....:lol:

gmbwrenchn
12-03-2010, 04:38 PM
See if you have 12v to the starter solenoid when holding the key in the crank position, 2 man job of course.

Have 12v to the starter {pos & neg post} Then I have only one terminal on the solenoid. So I checked with the leads on the one terminal and one on the pos. turned the key..nothing. No volts. Did the same for the neg terminal. Although after going back and forth with the key {on, off} It turn over a bit, but wouldn't start.

gmbwrenchn
12-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Couple of times a year mine does this. I keep a hammer in the trunk. I whack the starter a couple of times and it fires right up.

Been doing this with GM cars for what? 30+ years now?

I know it needs a starter, but I just can't bring myself to buy one unless it quits altogether....I'm kinda cheap....:lol:

Did try to hit it with the hammer....hard to get in there!....nothing.

gmbwrenchn
12-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Here's some more info too. I turn the key to on and I can't hear the fuel pump go on and none of the gages move. Gas gage shows full and I know I don't have a full tank of gas. Just replaced the pump and sending unit. Was working fine. Head lights go on with no diming while turning the key. Need to check fuses yet. Any under the hood I should look at? Any main fuses under there? Thanks.

jeffcoslacker
12-03-2010, 07:18 PM
I'd try to start it with a remote switch or by just shorting the posts with the key on...see if it even cranks normal or runs...this would rule several things in or out...

gmbwrenchn
12-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Got it figured out. Had the trans replaced recently. Looks like they did a little "hack" work on the main ground wire from the batt to the trans. It had electrical tape on it, and I was just moving some wires around down there and it fell right off! Must have been dangling by a thread! Will replace it tomorrow and I'll be good to go I'm sure. There was another ground wire attached in the same area, which probably explains why the lights were able to be only on. Thanks for the ideas.

Add your comment to this topic!