Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 GTP Transmission Trouble

zepol
12-01-2010, 08:05 PM
I wanna cry. I was driving my baby home from work today and when I made a right turn I felt some hesitation while giving her gas. I was in stop and go traffic (Well mainly stop) so I tried to see what was going on and kept slightly giving it gas and kept feeling that same hesitation. I put the car in park and when traffic started to move I put it back into drive and nothing.....I thought it might be in nuetral some how but when I moved it from D to N it didnt change. I put it back into park and then reverse and reverse worked but D did not. Finally I started to check the other gears otherwise I was screwed and she would only move in 2nd or 1st gear. (Thank God) I made it home and I think I know the answer but is my tranny done? If it is gone is it worth fixing. I haven't done anything other than check the fluid which seemed to be at the right level but smelled funny. Any suggestions on where I should go from here would be great.

tblake
12-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Are you able to drive it to a transmission shop or a dealer? Rind a place with a scanner capable of reading extended GM DTC codes and get it scanned. It could be a circuit issue.

zepol
12-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Yeah fortunately I live about a half of a mile from a GM Dealer and I'm assuming that I can still drive it in 2nd there. Haven't tried to do anything with it since getting home last night and checking fluid level. I will try and do that tomorrow and let you guys know what they say. Thanks bro!

Zep

zepol
12-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Wow just got off the phone with the GM Dealer down the street. They want 135 just to tell me what the problem is. Is this typical or should I call around to other GM Dealerships?

Zep

*** Update - Actually was told that $130.00 would be to run the codes and diagnose that way. If they have to tear the tranny apart I'm looking at $580.00 (He said more than likely they are going to have to tear it apart to find out the issue.) He said the labor cost to tear it apart is $580.00 and that labor cost is only 3 hours less than the labor cost of putting a whole new tranny in. Total cost of parts and labor for new tranny $3,227.80. ***

How difficult would it be to do install a new tranny on my own?

tblake
12-04-2010, 09:54 AM
So he wont just pull the codes? You could find a trans shop or someone with a scanner that can read extended GM codes in your area.

Trans R&R in these FWD drive GM W-body's (or any vehicle for that matter) is no pick-nic.

The worse part it you will have to support the motor with a cherry picker or engine brace as you work under it and remove the subframe. The trans comes out the bottom. After the subframe is off, remove the starter, access cover, torque converter bolts, trans bell housing bolts... And any electrical connectors or anything else I'm forgetting. HAHA.

Its a Pain.

zepol
12-04-2010, 10:25 AM
@tblake I am going to try and contact some tranny shops to see if I can find one that can pull the advanced DTC codes like you suggest.

Also thanks for giving me a heads up on how much of a PITA changing out the tranny will be.

I believe my neighbor has an engine hoist that he will let me use so how much more difficult would this job be than changing out the rack and pinion (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1016996)that I did a couple of months ago on here and did the write up?

Thanks!

DL

tblake
12-04-2010, 11:13 AM
I think you could handle it.

Your rack and pinion to subframe bolts needed to come out again, leave the rack hang on one side by the steering shaft and secure the other side with some wire.

Then the subframe bolts, to include the large ones, lower motor/trans mount bolts(nuts), ball joints, power steering return line bracket.

Then your off to what I mentioned above.

Couple pointers, one bell housing bolts needs a swivel socket to get on it because its blocked by the exhaust crossover.

also make sure to replace the torque converter. And when you do so, lubricate the o-ring on the end of the input shaft with some trans fluid so it doesn't slip past or roll over.

When you put the torque converter in the bell housing prior to putting the trans back into the car, make sure the converter is as far back in the bell housing has possible. it will slide back a ways into the bell housing. Then when you go to put the trans in the car, just slide it forward to mate to the flexplate. Don't try and force the converter into the housing by tightening the bell housing bolts or you could crack the flexplate.

On the flexplate bolts, apply threadlocker, and start them with your finger first. Then use a torque wrnech on them. If you need the torque spec, I can look it up. just ask.

and finally for your safety, always start a car with a replacement trans with the drive wheels off the ground. in case the shifter linkage is off, you dont want it running over you.

Add your comment to this topic!