Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

error code 0446 EVAP vent system

Grandprixguy38
12-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Hey,

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3.8 L with 230,000Km. I see there are a number of threads on this issue of the 0446 code, however I still haven't read where the evap charcoal canister is located. I have replaced the vent solenoid that is located in the engine compartment, but the light is still on. I have herd that the canister is located above the gas tank, obviously dropping the tank is going to be a bit of work, so I've been putting it off hoping for an easier solution. Today, I was working on the gascap flap that is loose and I had the driver's rear tire and the wheel well guard off and noticed that there is a "canister" there by the filler pipe, is that the charcoal canister that is causing the problems?

danielsatur
12-01-2010, 09:06 PM
It seems to make sense, if theres overflow at the pump the charcoal filter will absorb the fuel waste.
Can you smell gas from the canister?
Check to see if there's a fuse for the vent solenoid.
It might be worth getting http://www.alldata.com for TBS.

tblake
12-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Its a square box. I think it may be accessable from the drivers rear of the vehicle if you look up and in near the rear bumper and back drivers fender.

Grandprixguy38
12-04-2010, 06:04 AM
I found the "canister vent solenoid" it looks like half a pop can with one large hose and an two electrical wires. It is located at the drivers rear wheel well above the splash guard next to the gas filler pipe. It was hard to order at the parts store as they keep calling it the "purge vent solenoid" which is located in the engine compartment which I also previously replaced, but that didn't fix the problem I hope when I install the new canister vent solenoid, it fixes the nuisance 0446 error

Add your comment to this topic!