Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1960 pontiac catalina

1960PontiacCatalin
11-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Hey everyone i just bought my 1960 Pontiac Catalina . i was just wondering what everyone thought about it . it has 18,000 orig miles on the stock 389 2 barrel carb motor. the body is in pretty good shape has a couple rust holes not much at all manly all surface rust . the car tuns great has all the trim pieces its just an awesome vehicle all the way around. thanks for your time everyone!! :biggrin:

Blue Bowtie
11-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Photos would be interesting.

MrPbody
12-03-2010, 12:41 PM
'60s are pretty rare these days. A very "unique" Pontiac. I went to high school with a guy that had a '60 Ventura. Pretty cars. No "split grill". The '59 had a split grill as did a '61-up. Mechanically, a '60 is pretty much the same as a '59 and '61. The first generation of "Wide Track". Today, they're nicknamed "dark siders" for the full-size cars. Still very popular. A good friend has a '60 Cat that runs 10.0s, all steel (4,200 lbs.) and no Chevy parts!

One thing to be careful with is fuel quality. Feed it 93. If it "pings", it's beating the snot out of the pistons and rings. Pontiacs are very sensitive to this due to the combustion chamber design. When "rebuild time" arrives, there are some "quirks" that should be addressed.

If you're interested, Jim Hand's book "How to Build Max-performance Pontiac V8s" published by SA Designs, is a good read. The first chapter is dedicated to the history of the Pontiac. Chevy guys HATE that chapter. They thought THEY were "first" in GM... (:-

Welcome aboard, and happy yakkin! (that's Ponti-yakkin...)

Jim

Add your comment to this topic!