98 Lesabre Custom WATER PUMP REMOVAL ISSUE

scederas
11-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi. I started to remove the water pump this after noon. I drained the system and removed the belt and water pump pulley. I have started to remove the water pump bolts and have noticed that I CAN NOT get to one bolt that is somewhat behind the power steering pump pulley. The width of my wrench is too thick to slide down in between the pulley and the bolt head. I cannot get the open end either around the bolt due to the angle.

I have read through the threads and see that most everyone has stated that they really had no problems which makes me wonder if they removed the power steering pump pulley or not to get to the ONE bolt.

Reading over the factory service manual I see no mention of removing the power steering pump pulley and when I look at the instructions for removing the power steering pump pulley one needs a special tool to remove it.

Your experiences posted here will be appreciated. I have attached a photo I took a little while ago with the bolt I am talking about circled.

Sam in Cary,NC
k4oc@yahoo.com

danielsatur
11-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Maybe a banana wrench will work!

Urambo Tauro
11-28-2010, 07:33 PM
I never had to change the WP on my 92 LeSabre, but when my Cougar needed it, the PS pulley had to come off. I know, it's a totally different brand, but don't be surprised that the manufacturers aren't above this sort of annoying design.

If you can't get a wrench or socket in there, the pulley will have to come off. Just borrow a power steering pump pulley puller (after you pick a peck of pickled peppers!) from a local auto parts store if you don't have one.

maxwedge
11-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Loosen the p/s pump brackets and move the pump as far forward as you can you will have just enough to clear the bolt.

Blue Bowtie
11-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Align the hole in the PS pump sheave with the WP bolt and use a socket/extension.

HotZ28
11-29-2010, 01:20 AM
The hole in the PS pulley will not allow access to the WP bolt, it is designed for removal of the top PS pump mount bolt! The top & bottom PS pump mounting bolts will have to be removed, then the pump moved toward the firewall, to gain access to the WP bolt.

scederas
11-29-2010, 09:19 AM
The hole in the PS pulley will not allow access to the WP bolt, it is designed for removal of the top PS pump mount bolt! The top & bottom PS pump mounting bolts will have to be removed, then the pump moved toward the firewall, to gain access to the WP bolt.

Thank you. I guess I was waiting for someone to tell me what I suspected. I really appreciate the help.

Also thank you everyone who took the time to reply. I am getting ready to go back out to the garage and move the PS Pump enough to allow access to the bolt.
This forum is AWESOME !!!!

THANKS AGAIN !!!

:)

scederas
11-29-2010, 12:05 PM
I am getting ready to go back out to the garage and move the PS Pump enough to allow access to the bolt.

Well I had all this excitement this morning and ventured out to the garage and then I see that it is a MAJOR MAJOR pain in the rump roast to get to the PS mounting bolts especially with the PS Pulley in the way.

I jacked the vehicle up and looked through the wheel well and looked from above and scratched my head.

Unless I am missing something here I am going to the autoparts store tomorrow to rent a puller to pull the PS Pump pulley off to gain access to the one bolt that I have not been able to access. Moving the PS Pump is a major pain.

Those who have done a water pump removal on the same vehicle that I have please tell me something I am missing here !!

This task is making me feel like :banghead:

Sam in Cary, NC
1998 Buick Lesabre Custom 3.8L VIN Type K

inafogg
11-29-2010, 12:24 PM
no need to remove the pulley.remove the mounting bolts for ps pump.you can go
through the pulley via hole if necessary
i would think it is the same setup as the 97

maxwedge
11-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Correct, this is not that difficult, do not remove the pulley!!!

scederas
11-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Correct, this is not that difficult, do not remove the pulley!!!

Okay. I will give it a shot this afternoon when I get back from taking my daughter to the doctor. Thanks. I will let you know what happens !

I will post some pictures when I have something to take a picture of :)

-Sam

scederas
11-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Okay. I will give it a shot this afternoon when I get back from taking my daughter to the doctor. Thanks. I will let you know what happens !

I will post some pictures when I have something to take a picture of :)

Okay got to it this afternoon. I indeed was able to loosen the PS Pump by accessing the 2 mounting bolts via the holes in the PS Pump pulley. After loosening the screws enough I was able to slide the PS Pump enough out of the way to allow access to the remaining bolt I was having difficulty accessing.

I then removed the water pump. Then I sprayed some WD40 on the blocks water pump mating surface and then proceeded to scrape away all the old gasket and glue residue. I then took some scotch bright and rubbed the mating surface clean of all residual.

After getting the surface clean I then sprayed some carburetor cleaner on a rag and wiped the mating surface free of any oil residue.

I am now ready to go purchase the new waterpump and install it. I will try to get to it tomorrow and post some pictures.

Here is the direct link to the short video of the proud moment.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grkgeek/5219781734/

Here is the link to all of the photos and the video.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grkgeek/

Sam in Cary, NC

125k miles

UPDATED DECEMBER 6 2010:

I finished the job last week. All is well and I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone. I had some time to take some more photos and videos. One important thing to do afterwards is to bleed the system of excessive pressure. I like the bleed screw on the thermostat. I have bleed the system three times after long periods of use and feel confident I have all of the air pockets out. I do not like DEX COOL and used Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant.

Here is a link to the video that shows how to remove the belt.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grkgeek/5237176042/in/set-72157625539249178/

Here is the link to both sets...one set is removing and one is installing.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grkgeek/

I hope that something I posted here will help someone else. I was fortunate in that I did not have to do this at one sitting and had another vehicle to drive. I spent much more time that one is supposed to but I was in NO HURRY. Once again thank you all.

Sam in Cary, NC

125k miles

I want to add that one can remove the power steering bolts via the access holes that are provided on the power steering pump pulley. You can remove the bolts through the holes in the pulley THUS allowing you to gain access to the ONE WATER PUMP bolt in the corner. You cannot remove this bolt until you MOVE the power steerin pump out of the way.

Add your comment to this topic!