Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

lower ball joint

mybad_z71
11-27-2010, 09:55 PM
hello there, whats the easiest way to remove and install a pressed in lower ball joint on my 97 z71 without using a press?

Blue Bowtie
11-27-2010, 11:53 PM
The easiest way? Hand it to someone who does have a press and drifts. The chamfered hole in the stamped steel lower control arm should not be heated. The only safe method is to press out the old joint and press in the replacement. You can perform the swingarm removal and replacement yourself, and probably will want to replace the swingarm bushings while it's out. This also requires a press and drifts.

mybad_z71
11-28-2010, 08:37 PM
guess what? autozone has a tool made just for chevys and gmc. of all things its called "chevy lower ball joint removal tool" go figure huh. it looks like a 12" c-clamp with two different end tools to remove the old one and instal the new one. the hardest part was getting the old ones out. i was done before i knew it. thx for the reply blue.

Smiff 24
11-05-2011, 05:04 AM
guess what? autozone has a tool made just for chevys and gmc. of all things its called "chevy lower ball joint removal tool" go figure huh. it looks like a 12" c-clamp with two different end tools to remove the old one and instal the new one. the hardest part was getting the old ones out. i was done before i knew it. thx for the reply blue.

Has anyone used the Harbor Freight brand tool (c-clamp type)
any issues with it ?

broughy84
11-18-2011, 07:38 PM
I've got one. Works just fine.

Add your comment to this topic!