Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

TL Maintenace ...?

JayRider33
11-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Im thinking of getting a '00 TL 145k for 4200, and i was wondering if there is anything i should look for? Also are Acuras high maintenace? I know Honda makes them and was wondering if it still applies..

BullShifter
11-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm thinking of getting a '00 TL 145k for 4200, and i was wondering if there is anything i should look for? Also are Acuras high maintenance? I know Honda makes them and was wondering if it still applies..

The reason Honda and Acura's last so long is they push maintenance. I wouldn't say they are high maint, it's nothing out of the ordinary it's just stuff that should be done on EVERY car to make it last. As far as a '00 TL goes, the worst thing is the transmissions. They are notorious for failing, search Google and you will find out a lot on the issues. We have a customer that had a '01 CL and he went through 4 transmission in 150K. The transmission issues is the only thing that would prevent me from buying one of those. Honda/Acura trans issues are from 1998-2004 any thing with a V6 be it a TL, MDX, to an Accord, Pilot, Ody, etc.

At 145K the timing belt should have been replaced. If not it's 40K past due and should be done asap. If we were to do that timing belt at out shop it would run approx. $800 with all OEM parts. New timing belt, water pump, belts, tensioner, and coolant. Also the spark plugs should have been changed too. If there is no proof of maintenance I would not buy that car. I always say I would rather buy a car with 200K that was maintained correctly instead of a car with 100K that only had oil changes. That goes for a any make.

DonSor
12-08-2010, 12:13 PM
I got a 2K Acura 3.2TL which I bought new now with 130K miles. I am very well satisfied with the service and performance of the car. I do most of the maintenance myself except for those requiring special expertise and tools. At the required time I had the timing belt changed which included new water pump and serpentine belt. Thus far I had one brake job (pads only) and my entire windshield wiper assembly had to be replaced because the bushing wore out causing the wipers to uncontrollably slap. The tranny seemed to be working OK although I'm uncomfortable with the 90K frequency between fluid change. It has been 40K since the fluid was changed and I've decided to change it sooner than 90K miles. Since I bought the car, its driveability remained superb, no vibration, tires wearing even, etc. But, I will have the front end inspected just in case there is something going on that I'm not aware of. Afterall, the car is over ten years old and already have lots of mileage. I can't say much about other Acuras but I am perfectly satisfied with the model I have.

BullShifter
12-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Change the trans fluid every 30K. Those trans's have enough issues 3qts of Honda ATF isn't much compared to a new trans.

Add your comment to this topic!