Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Over heating on Thanksgiving, Thermostat?

bighappy
11-26-2010, 11:57 AM
While I was on my way to thanksgiving at my aunts, Van starts to over heat, so I pull over at a gas station and the temperature returns to normal, I go have Thanksgiving, on my way back home, over heats again, I pull over on side of highway till the temperature returned to normal. I did this 2 more times on the way home until I finally pulled over and called for a ride home after The van struggled to accelerated from a red light (was overheating at this point again).

I pulled over , popped hood and checked my coolant resovoir was full to the top, and my engine oil was topped off as well, but when I opened the engine oil cap, smoke was comming out because of how hot it was. And the Change oil light came on as well. Cranked it to start it and it would not start, then I gave it some gas and it did start without delay....

I returned to get it later after it had cooled down, ( i only lived 1 more exit up the highway)

But on my way home, the thermometer was under C saying it was cold and it continued to stay under C until right before i got home, it overheated.
Also This morning I went to the store, and I noticed the engine working a little harder then usual.

Can I fix this with replacing my Thermostat and getting an oil change?:banghead::2cents:

Thanks And I REally appreciate and input I can get in this. My first post and only working vehicle.

inafogg
11-26-2010, 12:21 PM
replacing thermostat is a good place to start
were the cooling fans running when engine got hot??

bighappy
11-26-2010, 12:35 PM
replacing thermostat is a good place to start
were the cooling fans running when engine got hot??

Sorry for late response, but Yes when I pulled over and popped the hood, both fans where running strong on radiator.

702VegasLife
11-26-2010, 04:00 PM
oil change should be a regular, and yes replacing thermostat is great place to start, sorry didn't have more input.

lesterl
11-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Blown Headgasket? Is the radiator full? How new is the radiator cap?

bighappy
11-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Okay, I opened the radiator cap and there is brown milkish slime deposits that i can dig up with my fingers. Seems to be floating in the resovoir as well.

I am really broke right now Cuz I get payed every 2 weeks and don't have money to pay for a repair on head gasket. (If thats even what it is cuz i don't know anything about auto mechanics.)

Can I just flush cooling system and replace thermostat for now to make it back and forth to work until I get the money to repair blown head gasket?

I understand that if the head gasket is blown, it will just re inject combustible gasses in the coolant and make more gunk, but will this keep it from over heating at least for a week or 2 till I get payed? I have no other ride to get to work and need to make money to get car fixed lol.

Any input will be GREATLY appreciated thanks .

bighappy
11-28-2010, 11:09 AM
How much is it more or less to fix the head gasket myself? I just follow the sticky on the forum?

Or how much will it cost to have it done at an auto repair shop?

mcmalloy
11-28-2010, 11:16 AM
If the cooling system is under pressure even when its cold , that would be exhust in the system,driving with a blown head gasket will make it worse, you will probly be looking at having to get it towed when it finley wont run anymore,

paprius4030
11-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Someone that's knowlegable should say if I'm right or wrong before you try this. But I've heard quite a few times that a good TEMPORARY repair is to add black pepper into the radiator to temporarily fix a blown head gasket. Since this person seems to be in a real bind since he needs his car and can't aford the repair now do any of the experts think he should try this? If so, how much black pepper should he pour in?

lesterl
11-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Dont put pepper in your coolant.

Just get it fixed or you will need a motor (at least heads if not more).

You will need Head Gaskets, Bolts, Intake gaskets, coolant, and oil, some system flush would be nice also...... If you dont know much about mechanicing pay to get it done right....

bighappy
11-28-2010, 10:30 PM
I wish I had the $$ for all that right now, I do have some pepper thats been in the cabinet for ages though......... and I got the thermostat already.

lesterl
11-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Well, I've heard that milk will plug holes also, but I wont be putting that in my coolant.

I would park the van for now and drive something else..... IMHO.....

sverker
11-29-2010, 02:39 AM
I'm new to the Venture but what I've learned is to really not risk it. Any modern engine with aluminium block and heads can't handle overheating, you are facing that instead of having a repair of head gaskets having to replace the whole engine..

Get a bicycle for the time being and don't run the van until you have got the bucks to get it fixed.
/Sverker

rodgerturner
11-29-2010, 06:26 AM
If the heads did not warp, you're looking at about $1200-1300 to replace the head gasket. If you need new heads, add another $400-500. The labor charge in this is substantial. I think it's billed at around 14 hours.

bighappy
11-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Yea I hear you. Going to just let it park for a while till I get the funds.

As embarrassing as it is, my mother lent me a car she does not drive at the moment until I get payed. But there was a short in the car a while ago and all the lights turned off. After replacing the fuses all the lights work except the brake and headlamps... Well, I made another thread in the dodge stratus section here....

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1055377

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

bighappy
11-29-2010, 12:10 PM
If the heads did not warp, you're looking at about $1200-1300 to replace the head gasket. If you need new heads, add another $400-500. The labor charge in this is substantial. I think it's billed at around 14 hours.

Thank you this is exactly the info what I was looking for! :D

Add your comment to this topic!