Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Dodge 1500 wont start

waynebanke
11-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Last Friday I tried to start my truck to take my kids to school it took me about 5 times and then it finally started it had been having problems starting but not always. So I'm headed down the road and I get close to there school and it starts smoking and says check gauges, so I pulled it into the school parking lot and shut it off it looked like it was on fire but it was just smoke. I tried to see if any of the gauges would come on but the battery was completely dead. So I replaced the starter and I hooked up a starter box and it started fine so then I replaced the battery and now it wont start if it does it dies immediately?:runaround:

ctwright
11-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Was this black smoke? Coming out of the tail pipe, under the hood? Sounds like it may be flooding. You need to have the codes read to see if you have any trouble codes. Try pushing the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hold while trying to crank and see if it cranks, it should help clear it up if it's flooded. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

waynebanke
11-26-2010, 09:56 AM
It was white smoke coming from the starter and I held the gas pedal down last night and got it started but when I let off the gas pedal it died. Its like it wont idle at all?

Add your comment to this topic!