Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Intrigue burning smell from engine

habitat814
11-23-2010, 12:16 AM
I just changed my coolant reservoir on my 2000 Intrigue because it was leaking and my car kept on over heating. Now, I keep smelling a burning plastic smell and it looks like one of the pulleys is overheating and glowing! I attached a link to the video that I shot just a few minutes ago. I don't know if its the crank pulley or what but either way, why is it glowing? Thanks for any insight or help!
-Dustin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoffCukQodM

shaallkie
11-23-2010, 01:26 AM
is that behind the water pump pulley? if so then something got stuck in it or the blades got bent and needs to be replaced

habitat814
11-23-2010, 01:57 AM
I think its below the water pump pulley.

carbon02
11-23-2010, 10:09 AM
That's the air conditioning pulley/clutch assembly. My guess is the AC clutch/bearing is bad causing a lot of heat.

To my knowledge there is not a standard pully avalible that allows you to bypass the AC system on the 3.5L there is for the 3.8L . Some have tried removing the belt and spraying lubricant behind the AC pulley, but if your creating that much heat, it's shot.

Some of us have followed the repairs of KrivasAuto a member on this site. Check out his page at http://99intrigue.shutterfly.com/activityfeed and look at AC compressor. There's more info and pictures there than you'd ever want.

Ultimately I can't see a cheap fix for this, as you need that pulley for the belt to go around. Maybe a shorter belt with a custom routing may work, but there was never an option for no AC on this 3.5L Intrigue.

Good Luck-

habitat814
11-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Ok the belt snapped on me today. It was the ac compressor that had a bad bearing on it causing it to seize up and snap the belt. I ended up buying a belt that was 10 inches shorter than the normal serpentine belt and by passed the AC pulley. It was a tight fit but it ended up working. I thought it was a timing belt and thought I was up poop creek without a paddle.

carbon02
11-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Please keep us posted on the success of running this shorter belt, and post the part number of the belt that you used.

This may be a nice alternative to those of us in nothern climates that can get by without the AC compressor

Add your comment to this topic!