Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 S-10 not cranking

Ryouice
11-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi,
I have a 2000 S-10 with the 4 cyl engine. Problem has been going on for awhile now. When I go to start the truck, while key is in the starting position all the electrical (lights, cd player, dash lights) come on but the truck wont turn over. For a little while if I kept turning the key off then trying to start it it would eventually turn over and start. Now it wont even start no matter what I do.

MT-2500
11-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Hi,
I have a 2000 S-10 with the 4 cyl engine. Problem has been going on for awhile now. When I go to start the truck, while key is in the starting position all the electrical (lights, cd player, dash lights) come on but the truck wont turn over. For a little while if I kept turning the key off then trying to start it it would eventually turn over and start. Now it wont even start no matter what I do.

First thing to check is for good charged battery and good cables.
Then check starter.
Find purple start wire to starter solenoid and put 12 volt jumper on it and see if starter will crank.
If not repair starter or solenoid or positive battery cable to it.

If it cranks with good 12 volts to purple wire to solenoid.
Get a wiring diagram of the starter circuit and a 12 volt test light.

The starter circuit starts at ign switch to crank fuse and then neutral safety switch/automatic or clutch pedal switch standard transmission.

Then to starter relay in under hood fuse box.
Then from relay to starter solenoid on purple wire to starter solenoid.

Let us know what these test show.

Add your comment to this topic!