Z71- 03 sagging front end.

rjbianchi
05-22-2003, 01:17 PM
I have an 03, Z71. I want to raise the front end to level to the rear. I was thinking about front coil spring spacers, but there are NO front coil springs. What can I do??? Thanks!

Flatrater
05-22-2003, 08:46 PM
Torsion bars underneath after the trans mount adjust the Z height on these trucks. You can adjust the torsion bars but that will effect your alignment!

rjbianchi
05-23-2003, 01:09 PM
How and where do I adjust them?

mdrz71
05-23-2003, 03:49 PM
To adjust the torsion bars on the truck you will need a speacial tool. I got mine for $80.
The torsion bars have a bolt that will in turn put more pre load on the torsions and raise the front. I found on my 00 that even 1/4" of adjustment made the ride suffer dramatically. On mine I ended up going with a set of new GM torsions with a higher torque rating (gm offers 8-10 different torsions in the trucks) and changing the adjuster, commonly refered to as the "pork chop". I have heard that 3/4 ton ones will work, but I ened up using one out of a 02 F150. It worked great, I got about a inch total out of the front and it still rides good. Mine sits about 3/8" higher up front for a littlle bit of the pre runner look, with 285/75/16 tires. I wouldn't go any higher than level though. Unfortunately the trucks do not have much downward travel and it will ride like a ton of bricks. Most people forget the suspension needs to cycle. I have another post going titled "has anyone changed their torsion bars". I hope this helps.
PS does anyone out there have any shock recommendations. I'm running bilsteins and I'm not real happy. They are good on the larger bumps, but pick up that typical bilstein resonance, and hopping on the high speed short impact bumps such as expansion joints in the highway.

Flatrater
05-23-2003, 09:37 PM
GM torsion bars have a 18mm bolt for the adjustment. You need to look under the truck near where the driveshaft starts at the trans on each side you will see a bolt sticking straight down.

CentexZ71
07-07-2003, 11:18 AM
I fixed my sagging front end on my 2003 Z71 4x4 by picking up a set of leveling "keyways" off of e-bay. It just happened that the 4x4 shop that we selling them was in Victoria, Texas, which was not too far from where I am so I had him install them. I don't have his phone number handy, but he sells on ebay and his shop is called Victoria Performance Offroad.

Follow this link on ebay for more info.

automohttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2422636747&category=33585

If the link does not work, go to ebay motors and do a search on the word "leveling" or "keyways"

Should cost less than $100 for the set. They are extremely cool. I raised my front end about 2 to 2.5 inches and made it level with the back. It makes all the difference in the world as far as looks. I can send you pix of what it looks like if you want.

By the way, you wouldn't know how to remove the "change engine oil" message on the instrument panel would you? I just changed by oil in my truck and the message is still on. The owners manual expains how to do it, but they are referring to a fuel information switch, which is an option that is not on my pickup.

Let me know,

Thanks,

T.K.
Cedar Park, TX

eo283
07-16-2003, 04:15 PM
turn the key to the on position and step completely on the gas pedal 3 times and the system should reset itself

GMCZ71
07-25-2003, 03:39 AM
Is there any way to replace torsions with out that tool?? If there isnt how exactly dose it work cuz my lift came with some shitty bars that look like there the wrong size or some shit. Theres a gap between the bars head and the arm hole where they connect to. It looks like a wrong size socket on a bolt!! the points are touching the flats its some weird shit. anyways i need to replace em how do i go about that. spet by step please.

milkdud_ka
08-10-2003, 02:59 PM
My truck has the same problem. The torsion bars look like they have slipped in the socket on the control arm. Is this normal?

Tackle_Hog
10-24-2003, 08:34 PM
i thought i had the same problem....it always looked to me like the front sagged a little bit...i kind thought it was cuz of my big ass always sititng in the drivers seat, but whyw ould i pay 30g for a truck that's gonna sag cuz i'm too big lol.....anyways...can anyone put the solution into english for those of us that don't speak engineer? :iceslolan thanks in advance

texasblueline
10-30-2003, 08:29 PM
Maybe my problem is related so I'd appreciate any opinions or suggestions (go easy on me, I'm a newbie here).

I've noticed that the driver side of my '02 Z71 Extended Cab sits 1/4"-1/2" lower than the passenger side does. It's that way in both the front and the rear, so it "leans" a little toward the driver side. I'm not too mechanically inclined, but I know it's not tire-related because all four tires are brand new and the same pressure and measure the same height. The truck is completely stock (except for the new BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires) so there's nothing on or in the truck that would add any extra weight to that one side (unless there was something done to it by the previous owner it that I'm not aware of).

Anyone know what would cause this and how to fix it? Do I need to take it in and get new shocks or something? Thanks in advance for the help.

Add your comment to this topic!