Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 LX 1.9 Oil Leak

dlbdata
11-21-2010, 05:19 AM
My 95 LX 1.9 had had an oil leak that has been steadily getting worse over the last 75k or so. Currently have 176k on it. The leak seems to always be worse in the cold weather. Its not a real lot of oil, but its enogh to make a mess over time. It drips on the floor at both ends of the engine, not sure if it drips there just because it is a collection point, or if the actual leak is there. I've never been able to pin down where exactly the oil is coming from. Parts of oil pan look like it might be the pan seal, but then I wonder if it could be crank seal. Do either of these kinds of leaks typically get worse in cold weather? Are there any typical leak areas that develop on this engine? Engine is still running strong, but would like to get this leak figured out & fixed.

AzTumbleweed
11-21-2010, 09:19 AM
I had a leak that had me stumped for awhile. It was the oil pressure sending unit on the backside of the engine. You might look there.

dlbdata
11-22-2010, 04:54 AM
All dry up high where the Oil pressure sending unit is. Thanks for suggestion though.

Racer42
12-02-2010, 01:00 AM
I have a 94 1.9L LX. I've noticed my rear main seal is leaking and I haven't even got 100K on it yet. So I could imagine the same is happening to you with twice the mileage. The front of the engine is a lil more difficult. It could be the front main seal, or possibly power steering. Ever notice either getting low?

dlbdata
12-02-2010, 05:08 AM
100k I think was roughly about the time when I first noticed the leak starting. It's just gradually been getting worse, and always seems worse in the cold weather. Overnight it will have several drops drip at both the front & rear of engine, sort of around where you would expect for the front & rear seals. But it's hard to say whether that is just where the oil collects. It's definately engine oil, can see the difference when I have just changed the oil.

zzyzzx2
12-03-2010, 03:47 PM
You really are going to have to just clean it really good (won't be easy) then run the car while inspecting for leaks.

Add your comment to this topic!