Ordered months ago....waiting still! Dealer BS ???

Texpaw
11-20-2010, 07:48 AM
5 months ago we ordered a 2011 Sonata Limited ,harbor gray with wine interior.

The dealer has been unable to find one or order one for ???? reasons.

Well yesterday they called and told us they found out Hyundai has stopped producing the wine interior, but, they found one with 1700 miles on it (what a coincidence right).

They offered the original price we agreed on plus .50 cents a mile discount $850
Do you think .50 c a mile is fair,and how many miles does it take to consider a car
a used car. I figure the depreciation would be greater if I had put 1700 miles on it myself...Right ? What do you folks think?....Thanks

DSHornet
11-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Pardon my ramblings. A few thoughts on the matter:

* Do some research and find out the price for a used Sonata with the equipment on the car, then tell them to do the mileage discount thing ($850 is not much). Ask them if they really want to sell you the car.
* Ask why they couldn't call the Montgomery plant and discover the change in the equipment lineup. Don't get belligerent, but do get firm. A raised voice is not needed; you will get better results by just reminding them they dropped the ball months ago and it's time to be upfront with you.
* Ask where the car is. If they don't want to satisfy the customer, maybe another dealer will if they know where to start looking for it. If it's close, tell them you want to GO SEE it WHERE IT IS, before they have it shipped in. Keep in mind that the car may be a dealer demo or a loaner, which may not matter if it's in like-new condition.
* Can you make do with another option combination? Gray with wine interior is a strikingly beautiful combination, but there are others that look good, too.
* The dealer owes you BIG TIME for the months-long delay. Negotiate, and be prepared to walk away from the showroom. They screwed up. In other words, put up or shut up.

mcmalloy
11-20-2010, 02:26 PM
it is a used car , should only pay used price, its your money so your in charge not the dealer

lowsonoma1999
11-26-2010, 09:17 AM
More than likely it was an employees demo. 50 cents per mile sounds about right. Considering that the service loaners Hyundai gives us to use for service customers are allowed to be in service up to 5k miles and they only give us $1k discount on them. The car can be considered new as long as it hasn't be titled. So the whole wanting a used car price won't work. The car has never been titled, still has the 10yr100k mile powertrain warranty, where a used car would not have it. If you don't feel comfortable with this dealer, go find another one and see if they can locate it. The wine interior being discontinued might be true. It's been a long time since I've seen one come off the truck with that interior color. Mileage deduction on a used car is typically 7 - 10 cents per mile if it's over the average mileage for that year. So they are being generous.

Add your comment to this topic!