Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ants in my car...!

Ed_Strong
11-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Whats the best way to get rid of them?

I try not to eat in my cars to avoid this kind of situation. But my little one had left a piece of a tootsie roll in the coin holder and I guess thats what atracted them in, tho there were no ants around the candy.

They are the black ones that move fast and don't bite, but still I want them out without turning my car into a poison room or gas chamber. Any ideas?

wrightz28
11-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I've done nothing more than a couple cans of spray in carpet cleaner and some thurough vacuuming out to rid any pests. Never used any Raid or anything of the sort.

Since they weren't on the candy, yet, perhaps has there been a lot of rain or other type of pooling of water where the car is parked over night (I presume) that was cause them to look for higher and drier ground?

Ed_Strong
11-21-2010, 02:50 PM
I cleaned up after the sugar trail... problem is that the remaining ants are coming in and out of the dash crevices by the A/C vents and Radio area (the candy was left on the coin holder below the radio) There are No visible ants in the floor, seats or rear of cabin, only around the center of the dash and gauges.

The car sits in the sun all day in dry asphalt, either at home or at work (unfortunately) and even tho the temp down here is only cool in the mornings I've been running the Heater on HI thru all its settings (Floor, Vents, and Windshield) to try and force them out.

I was thinking about those Combat traps for ants so I might pick some up. My fear is that the ants might start breeding out of sight and mess up the wiring or electronics... thanks for the input.

ctwright
11-21-2010, 03:27 PM
In the work truck of my old job, my dr. pepper bottle rolled under the seat, not thinking nothing of it a few minutes later reached under grabbed it, twisted the top off, wasn't looking b/c was driving, and started drinking, looked down at the bottle there was ants all over it. I think I even swallowed some b/c they are so fast by the time I had the top off and drank some and looked down they were all ready some inside.

edwinn
05-26-2012, 05:51 AM
I found ants crawling all over the body of my Buick Riviera last Wednesday the 23rd. They are mostly on the rear bumper, fenders, trunk area, and climbing up the drip channels (outside the weather stripping) on each side of the trunk to the roof. There are no ants inside the vehicle, and I pretty much NEVER eat in there. Yesterday I dripped (with an eye dropper) and sprayed some odorless, stainless ant killer around the trunk, rear window molding, and under the rear.. and that killed 100's. Then I took the garden hose and flushed out a LOT of ants from under the rear bumper.

Not sure why they invaded. Today I'll be battling the little buggers again. Good thing none are in the engine compartment or interior of the car (at least I have seen any in there yet.)

Best advise I've heard is to get some stuff that they take back to the nest, and that will wipe them out.

-Ed

Add your comment to this topic!