Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ABS and Traction control lights on

rlamppa1
11-18-2010, 07:15 AM
My 02 grand prix has 89,000 miles on it. Yesterday, the ABS and Trac light came on together. I don't hear anything making noise. It still seams to drive OK. Does anybody know what this combination of lights means. Will a code scanner be able to diagnose it? Thanks. I have never owned a car that has had as many nickle and dime problems as this one.

jrecken
11-18-2010, 09:55 AM
You would need an ABS capable code scanner and it would direct you to the trouble spot. Many times they will say there is a problem with the wheel bearing, this is because the wheel bearing and sensor are one unit.
I have had the same problem with my own car and something as simple as pulling the connections at each wheel and spray with CRC cleaner and compressed air corrected the problem.

good luck

TDWPgtp
11-23-2010, 10:59 AM
if your lucky, wiggling around the connections will fix the problem, at least for a while. mine did that and i fixed it by unplugging and replugging the harnesses. however, a year or two later the wires on the plugs actually broke so i had to replace the wheel bearing, so you may have to do that.

on the plus side, after taking off my old wheel bearing, i realized how shot it was. the thing wouldnt even spin from me pushing it :lol:.

good luck either way

jakegday
11-26-2010, 07:31 PM
theres a good chance its a bad front hub/bearing, or bad connection between the hub/bearing and the computer it goes to..

as for your grand prix nickel and diming you, i am just now halfway through my loan and have put over $4000 worth of repairs into this pile of sh#t

DC1263
11-27-2010, 04:49 PM
My ABS would sometimes pulse at slow speed while turning into parking area or my driveway especially when raining or wet surface, Sometimes the ABS/Tract lights would come on sometimes not, Scanned C0245 - Wheel Speed Sensor Frequency Error (Frequency difference between the left and right front sensors) Pulled front rotors off and found evidence of a grab-slip-grab-slip condition on the passenger side rotor, surfaces of both rotors were mirror smooth with very slight scoring, very well glazed and a nice deep color blue, typical at 112,000, figured I'd just go ahead and install new rotors, pads were at about 50% so I cleaned them up and reused them. The C0245 took a while to reset itself , Have not seen issue since new rotors, now at 171,000

spddmn1
11-30-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm going to say you've got a bad hub bearing. My lights are on too & the last service i had done they rotated my tires & said my left hub bearing is bad. Doesn't effect the ride but you can hardly feel it in the steering wheel. Mechanic said that's why both lights were on. I replaced the hub bearing & it's back to normal.

Paulk501
02-17-2011, 08:52 PM
You would need an ABS capable code scanner and it would direct you to the trouble spot. Many times they will say there is a problem with the wheel bearing, this is because the wheel bearing and sensor are one unit.
I have had the same problem with my own car and something as simple as pulling the connections at each wheel and spray with CRC cleaner and compressed air corrected the problem.

good luck

just wanted to chime in and say this worked like a charm!

rubberman
02-18-2011, 02:16 PM
my grand prix just got the ABS light and trac light. It immediately comes on when starting the car. I replaced both front hub within the past 2 yrs. I do have a good DTC/ABS scanner but it does not pick up any codes. I was hoping it would tell me which wheel like when i scanned my Trailblazer a while back.

I also thought maybe it blew an ABS fuse but the only fuse i found was the one in the engine compartment block. it was ok.

any thoughts?

Paulk501
02-18-2011, 04:02 PM
my grand prix just got the ABS light and trac light. It immediately comes on when starting the car. I replaced both front hub within the past 2 yrs. I do have a good DTC/ABS scanner but it does not pick up any codes. I was hoping it would tell me which wheel like when i scanned my Trailblazer a while back.

I also thought maybe it blew an ABS fuse but the only fuse i found was the one in the engine compartment block. it was ok.

any thoughts?

for the 2 hubs you replaced, check the connections. i replaced mine about 6 months ago. i forgot to replace the rubber gasket that goes between the electrical connections for the ABS sensor. water/salt/roadcrap got into the connector and corroded it causeing my ABS/TRACTION lights to come on. cleaned it out works like a charm.

rubberman
02-18-2011, 04:46 PM
gonna try that this weekend

rubberman
02-19-2011, 01:34 PM
it ended up being a broken wire on the right front hub. soldered it back together and all is good. lights are off.

Add your comment to this topic!