Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Durango Shifting Problem - Help

barnold37
11-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I have been dealing with this for over a year, but it seems to be getting worse. This problem mainly occurs while shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and is more intense when the engine/tranny are cold. The vehicle accelerates normally with no slipping, but when it shifts from 2nd it does not go into 3rd. I have to run the engine rpm to around 5500 (maybe a couple of times), then let it return to near idle before it shifts to 3rd. The 3 - 4 shift has the same issue, only far less intense. I don't have to run the rpm nearly as high and the shift normally occurs sooner.
Any ideas? Solenoid or servo issue? Valve body issue? Could the Lockup Solenoid cause something like this to occur?

If this is a case of front clutch leakage, how is that repaired? Total rebuild, or is it just a matter of some O-ring gaskets?

theFREAKnasty82
11-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Is your check engine light on? 1996 and up Dodge truck tranny's had problems with the governor pressure sensor on the valve body. If you have a code and it's a P1763 there's a TSB for that. Basically the PCM will have to be reflashed.

Ez Dino
11-22-2010, 09:27 PM
I have been dealing with this for over a year, but it seems to be getting worse. This problem mainly occurs while shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and is more intense when the engine/tranny are cold. The vehicle accelerates normally with no slipping, but when it shifts from 2nd it does not go into 3rd. I have to run the engine rpm to around 5500 (maybe a couple of times), then let it return to near idle before it shifts to 3rd. The 3 - 4 shift has the same issue, only far less intense. I don't have to run the rpm nearly as high and the shift normally occurs sooner.
Any ideas? Solenoid or servo issue? Valve body issue? Could the Lockup Solenoid cause something like this to occur?

If this is a case of front clutch leakage, how is that repaired? Total rebuild, or is it just a matter of some O-ring gaskets?
The problem in the transmission,the direct drum is not sealing properly.transmission needs to be remove.

dolittle
11-23-2010, 08:55 PM
You didn't say what Eng or Trans you have but first I'd do a service and band adjustment
both rear and front. A good manual should show you how to do this.
Also check the adjustment on the throttle valve cable.

95redTA
12-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Had a similar problem in myn but it was throwing a code for the transducer and solinoid replaced that and works great now

Add your comment to this topic!