Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

All-In-One Service Centers

RidingOnRailz
11-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Yknow the ones, Valvoline, Jiffy-Lube, etc.

I debate this with them all the time, but why, why, why must they top off my fluids so that when I check them I spill all over the engine bay??

Pwr Steering, for instance on my car there are 4 important levels, from the bottom up: Min Cold, Max Cold, Min Hot Max Hot. I visually check it in the shop after they service my car, and forget "Hot Max" - I cannot even see the top of the fluid until I remove the cap and spill some fluid on the power steering line and the engine block!

Engine Oil: It's never filled to just within the cross-hatch/grid on the stick! It's waaay above that, and this is room temperature shop oil, not the hot old oil I just drove in with for service.

All in all, they insist these fluids are filled correctly, and that I should consult my owner's manual. WTH? I checked the manual and it simply confirms the markings on the stick or canister under the hood.

Where's the disconnect here, folks?

betuaintgotthis
11-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Dont know what they are playing at with the power steering its not really that difficult to top up. But imagine they have a computer that says your car takes x amount of oil so they stick that in. Unknown to them it is actually supposed to take y amount of oil. I personally would say that it should be just below maximum when cold.

curtis73
11-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Being a Jiffy Lube employee requires a piss test and watching a 15 minute video. Not kidding. Going to Jiffy Lube to have any service done is like going to Freshman Pre-med major to get brain surgery.

Just don't.

MagicRat
11-16-2010, 09:22 PM
There's about a zillion stories of bad service out there from shops like these.

IMO your local store probably has a manager with some quirks or shortcuts, and teaches all the employees his bad habits.

My dad used to go to one of these places for years, They never tightened-up the oil filter to spec. It was always a bit 'loose', imo so they could unscrew it more easily in 3 months time. I always had to snug it up a bit.

Add your comment to this topic!