check transmission again

rh71
11-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Have a '95 Rodeo V6... the tranny was rebuilt back in '08 and the same thing is happening right now. Long story short (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=5733252 (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=5733252#post5733252)) .. the rebuild didn't fix the problem and then they put in a speed sensor and all has been good until now, 2.5 years later (maybe 5k miles since).

Same symptoms with the sudden check transmission light as I accelerate normally... it goes into limp mode and I have to manually shift.

Are there more sensors in play here? Potential bad speed sensor again? I would like to think the transmission itself, especially after being rebuilt, is still fine.

rh71
11-23-2010, 07:00 PM
^ update - "transmission torque reduction" is the code... anyone have any idea what I'm about to get myself into? Or does that simply mean it went into limp mode?

Could this just be something computer related? Software fix? Might be more expensive than a sensor.

rh71
01-08-2011, 09:27 AM
another update - it's gotten worse... the check transmission light comes on periodically and shutting the engine off and back on again had been clearing it for a while. But lately a couple times it wouldn't reverse at all. I gave it a bit more gas and it sputtered & hopped backwards a few yards as if it was not fully catching the gear, then started making loud noises. Shift into drive and there's a constant loud noise while spinning as well, but it is driving and shifting ok. Reverse is working fine after engine restart, but the loud noise persists.

I'm going to check the transmission oil level but it doesn't explain the "check transmission" lights I had been getting anyway.

My friend who saw the code and played with it said it wasn't mechanical but all this recent noise points to it being mechanical. Am I looking at costly repairs? I am about to give up on this thing, but the other side of me feels 116k miles is still low and worth saving if it's only a few hundred bucks in a fix.

Add your comment to this topic!