Kia sportage no power on climbing hills

jolanya
11-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Hello fellow members am soon giving up on my Kia sportag unless someone come to my rescue the car is a automatic 1998 Before was burning the coil now that one is shorted but the climbing of hills is not yet gone and missing firing a lot no power complettly on hills on flat ground its fine but any small hill no way.
Could it be the auto tranmission which is a problem?
I hear that there is an ECU for auto gearbox,does Kia also have them?
If there is anybody who know a good kia mechanic around south east London pls let me know
Can some one help pls

sightdev
11-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Hello fellow members am soon giving up on my Kia sportag unless someone come to my rescue the car is a automatic 1998 Before was burning the coil now that one is shorted but the climbing of hills is not yet gone and missing firing a lot no power complettly on hills on flat ground its fine but any small hill no way.
Could it be the auto tranmission which is a problem?
I hear that there is an ECU for auto gearbox,does Kia also have them?
If there is anybody who know a good kia mechanic around south east London pls let me know
Can some one help pls

so you replaced coil and engine runs/idles smooth without miss-fire? There are various control units and TCM is for tranmission but ECU will be the central processor. not enough informatoion to give any "good" advice but if you have smooth running engine and no other engine light is "on", you may have clogged up catalytic converter. if you drove the vehicle with misfire for long time because of bad coil, you most likely have clogged catalytic converter. this is only a guess since you didn't mention anything about pre and post condition and what was done before and after.

jolanya
11-18-2010, 04:53 PM
so you replaced coil and engine runs/idles smooth without miss-fire? There are various control units and TCM is for tranmission but ECU will be the central processor. not enough informatoion to give any "good" advice but if you have smooth running engine and no other engine light is "on", you may have clogged up catalytic converter. if you drove the vehicle with misfire for long time because of bad coil, you most likely have clogged catalytic converter. this is only a guess since you didn't mention anything about pre and post condition and what was done before and after.

Hello thank very much for the reply
The thing is that the coil was being burn because of wire shorting at the back of the engine. Later I took the car for digonastic and the things which came through was throttal body senson and lambard sensor I replaced them but still the engine light comes on and any slight hill the light will come on and the car loses power.When its not on loard the engine rev fine and also on plain ground the gears changes fine Only when I stop at trafic jam then the car starts to miss fire
I hope have explain it better now and if you cantell me how to check the tcm thank you

sightdev
11-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Hello thank very much for the reply
The thing is that the coil was being burn because of wire shorting at the back of the engine. Later I took the car for digonastic and the things which came through was throttal body senson and lambard sensor I replaced them but still the engine light comes on and any slight hill the light will come on and the car loses power.When its not on loard the engine rev fine and also on plain ground the gears changes fine Only when I stop at trafic jam then the car starts to miss fire
I hope have explain it better now and if you cantell me how to check the tcm thank you

Throttle sensor would not cause the type of problem. diagnostic done with handheld device is just informational and it usually provides "outcome" and not actually identify the source of the problem. did you take it to someone with diagnostic machine? did they check catalytic converter? if you had transmission problem, your vehicle will not move as much when RPM increases. stuff to check are all four spark-plug cable [since coil was damaged before and replaced], check all plugs for fouling [indication you have misfire/bad ring/injector etc], bad CPS [cam position sensor] can also cause havoc on idle and all kinds of issue [this is cheap replacement]. etc. looks like you will need professional help.

LMP
11-21-2010, 05:54 AM
Obviously as you mention, misfire is your problem, a common feat with this engine. YOu have a spark problem, period. There is no indication you have changed spark plug wires. And contamination in the coil shroud that goes to the spark plug that the coil is sitting on also occurs and shorts the spark to ground around the spark plug. Spark is always easy at low power; as soon as you increase throttle, the spark requires more voltage and this is where leaks takeover and spread the spark elsewhere. Do not spoil money all across the board: just spark plugs , coils and wires.

jolanya
02-01-2011, 05:04 PM
my problem is not yet solve now its even worst the car back fires and no power at all
When I rev the thecar up to about 4rpm it starts to back fire I dont know whether the auto box is slipping or not
Anothere thing is that when its cold it runs fine ones it worms up that is when the problems startsm please some one advice

LMP
02-03-2011, 12:58 PM
YOU did not mention if you have done anything since last communication. Spark plugs? Spark plug wires? Coils ?
YOU say " When I rev the thecar up to about 4rpm it starts to back fire" ...is that in neutral or with car running? In neutral, there is a rev limiter that acts as you say....

jolanya
02-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Thank for your reply yes I have change the plugs to the recomended one as well as the coils and the leads change air mass no different
Now I have realise that when the car is cold it runs fine but when worm that is whe it starts the problem
when I rev the car in neutral even its cold or hot no problem but when it on load and up hill sometimes at flat ground you fell lack of power and engine light comes on
The more you try to put more power it starts to back fire thenwhen I leave the reve a litlle bit it gains power fo alittle then again
Hope you get what am trying to explain
thank

LMP
02-03-2011, 09:07 PM
THere are several cases where clogged #1 catalytic converter has been a problem. I would not tell to change the catalytic right away, but some just disconnecet the exhaust and go for a test run...hope no one complains about the noise....ans see what happens.

ALso...is the check engine light ON? WIth thi car, the CEL will go for any rason...but it you have it and can read a ode, it can help....sometimes. I read you had sensors changed because of this, but is the CEL still ON? Misfires DO pop a code.

Finally, what is the mileage on this car? has the timing belt been changed already?

mark_gober
02-07-2011, 02:16 PM
THere are several cases where clogged #1 catalytic converter has been a problem. I would not tell to change the catalytic right away, but some just disconnecet the exhaust and go for a test run...hope no one complains about the noise....ans see what happens.

ALso...is the check engine light ON? WIth thi car, the CEL will go for any rason...but it you have it and can read a ode, it can help....sometimes. I read you had sensors changed because of this, but is the CEL still ON? Misfires DO pop a code.

Finally, what is the mileage on this car? has the timing belt been changed already?

I concur with the #1 catalytic converter. Mine is currently experiencing this exact problem. I've purchased a new #1 converter and will post my results when I get the part (should be at my front door in a day or two). Mine idles fine, but has a distinct lack of power. When pushed for more power, it begins to buck and sputter. Mine was throwing a Catalytic Converter below threshold code before this happened. (I don't recall which numeric code it was). I suspect that the honeycomb structure failed and is now impeding the airflow.

Good luck.

Mark

Add your comment to this topic!