Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine cooling light is on-99 Grand Prix GTP

pint4
11-14-2010, 09:23 AM
The engine cooling light is one and I have enough coolant. I am told there is a low coolant sensor that goes bad. I have received conflicting information as to where it is located. Some say on the plastic coolant refill bottle and others say on the radiator. Can someone help me and does anyone have instructions perferably with a picture or two that would help me to my own replacement?
It is a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP.
Thanks,
Bob

BNaylor
11-14-2010, 09:27 AM
On the radiator. About 4" below the radiator filler neck. We have many old threads on it. Just remove the passenger side headlamp for easier access.

pint4
11-15-2010, 07:01 AM
Is there a easy way to search for the other threads that relate to this topic? When I try I seem to get all kinds of other subjects thrown into the mix. Is it easy to fix even for someone not highly experienced?
Thanks

tblake
11-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Did you recently change to prestone brand dex-cool? My car did this right after I got a coolant flush and used prestone instead of ac delco brand dex cool.

Cleaning the sensor would work for short periods of time but eventually I just got sick of it and changed it out.

richtazz
11-17-2010, 10:41 AM
It's located just below the upper transmission cooler tube on the passenger side radiator tank. It's about 1-1/2" square, and has a wire harness connector coming off toward the ground. Here's a link to the picture from Delco's website:

http://webcaps.ecomm.gm.com/internet/ViewPartImage.jsp?acdelcoPartNumber=10096163

The round part facing up in the picture is what goes in the radiator, and the wire you see is the spring loaded retainer that actually holds it in place. Hope this helps.

Brent S
12-06-2010, 07:37 AM
FYI: My Low Coolant sensor issues ('99 GTP) were caused by brown sludge deposits, from the plaguing Lower Intake Manifold gasket. I got the gasket changed, and now my radiator filler neck remains spotless, and never had another Low Coolant light issue.

Add your comment to this topic!