Brakes and Rotors

houndog3
11-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Im tied of the cheap rotors and pads from napa (so called their best) the rotors warp after about 15k miles..And im easy on my brakes!!Im looking for a good recommendation on a good set of rotor and pads from ROCK AUTO..i was thinking on buying a set of slotted rotors and a good set of pad!! Any suggest on what kind to buy would be great!!! I do want to stay under 250.00 thx!!!!!!

MagicRat
11-14-2010, 10:29 AM
It may not be the quality of the parts giving you this problem. Try torquing all wheels down in 3 or 4 progressive steps, using a criss-cross pattern, and using a torque wrench always.

My older vehicles never had warping probems. But my newer cars did.

For example, the original owner of my '97 Cadillac said the rotors would always warp and pulse after 6 months of use (since the car was new), even when the dealer would do the brakes using quality AC Delco parts.

He just learned to live with it, and had the rotors turned or replaced every spring and fall at considerable expense.

The rotors warped on me once shortly after I bought the car. I replaced them and simply torqued the wheels down properly..... and no more warp problem, even after 3 years.

Scrapper
11-14-2010, 11:53 AM
or it maybe your calapers releasing do to rubber brake colapsing. you gota watch autozone to if they stack them wrong there warped when you get them. call jegs or summit if you want the best.

gremlin96
11-14-2010, 12:38 PM
i must ask. when was the last time you changed your brake fluid. or checked the travel on the calipers. brake dust and crud gets in side the calipers and couses all kinds of good things to happen. one is they do not retract and heat up the brakes and warp all the parts.

houndog3
11-14-2010, 05:22 PM
yes i have changed the fluid 2 times, and i alway put my luggs on in a criss cross pattern..but i never tourqed them...i have replaced the calipers and and rotor and pad before at the same and still get the same problem..i still say its that CHEAP CHINA JUNK we buy at our parts stores...the origanal rotors lasted me till about 60,000 miles and this crap i buy is nothin but JUNK

j cAT
11-14-2010, 06:03 PM
yes i have changed the fluid 2 times, and i alway put my luggs on in a criss cross pattern..but i never tourqed them...i have replaced the calipers and and rotor and pad before at the same and still get the same problem..i still say its that CHEAP CHINA JUNK we buy at our parts stores...the origanal rotors lasted me till about 60,000 miles and this crap i buy is nothin but JUNK

brake pads made by some companies will over heat the metal and score the rotor faces. using a quaility brake pad/shoe will reduce this.

the OEM brake shoes/pads are a very good product to eliminate this . only problem they cost over 100.00 a set. I now use advance auto semi metalic bendix products with a lifetime warrantee...also rotors. so far no problems.

If you have rear drums it is possible they are worn too much . this can cause the front rotors to wear out rapidly and damage these chinese rotor crap...products.

using a torque wrench is a good idea. ya it is an expensive tool but this insures that the lugs are evenly torqued..

inafogg
11-14-2010, 08:41 PM
i still say its that CHEAP CHINA JUNK we buy at our parts stores
i agree 100% the ones made in china are junk i upgrade (dont buy the cheapest)
for about $20 ea vs $12 not sure of brand name but you get what you pay for

Add your comment to this topic!