Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 dodge stratus won't start

tanyaski
11-13-2010, 12:17 PM
I have replaced the computer twice ( both used )and it will work for a short period but then will not start again.

anyone know if this is due to the computer not being flashed, or if something electrical is zapping it ?

theFREAKnasty82
11-16-2010, 03:25 PM
when you get the vehicle running again, check your charging system voltage. Should be between 13.5-14.7 volts. If it's higher than that, it will fry computers.

duff541
05-09-2011, 12:15 AM
have you checked the fuses under the hood? specifically the pcm fuse if thats blown follow all of the wires from the fuse panel toward the firewall there is a common problem with the wires rubbing the engine and shorting out. good luck, let me know how it goes

GNXdreamin
07-04-2011, 02:02 PM
when you put a used pcm in a vehicle, the computer will revert to predetermined variables stored within the pcm as far as engine operation/function. Once the vehicle runs for awhile, or is started/stopped enough times to recalculate the neccessary variables, then the computer will make a determination based upon the new information sent to the vehicle. I had this problem wth my town and country minivan. i went through three computers before i came to the root cause. Come to find out, there was nothing wrong with the computers to begin with. It's just that the information sent from the vital sensors were out of range, so as a safeguard measure, the computer cut the signal to supply voltage to the coil, thus preventing ignition. The root cause for me was a broken flywheel. The crank position signal was 'dropping out' due to the reference marks on the flywheel being off. I would put a used pcm in, and it would fire up, since the battery had been disconnected, the computer was reverting to predetermined stored variables within the used pcm. Once it ran for awhile, and the ignition was cycled on/off, the computer went from using the stored variables to using the new information sent from the van. Since the variables were way out of range, it would shut down. So, this being said, i would not count on the computer being bad. I'd check over all vital engine components/sensors, and have them all tested for proper function. Don't ever assume since you don't have an engine light that all systems are operational. This isn't always the case. Through my ordeal with the van, i never had an engine light. Check EVERYTHING over very carfully!! If you have access to a scan tool, not a code checker tool, but the full blown scan tool that tells you everything but your underwear size, this would be a good starting point! Good starting points would be Mass air flow, coolant temp sensor, IAC, etc. Good luck, and keep us posted!!

Add your comment to this topic!