Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP: Installing aftermarket radio

Firstymer
11-12-2010, 09:22 PM
I need help installing an aftermath radio into my 00' Pontiac Grand Prix SE V6 3.1L car. I am aware I need the wire harness and in-dash kit which I can purchase at Walmart relavently cheap, but is there anything else I need to know before I attempt this project? i.e. how to remove the oem radio from the car?

richtazz
11-13-2010, 07:54 AM
The oem radio comes out very easily. Remove the dash bezel (the big plastic piece that goes around the instrument cluster, radio and HVAC controls). Put the tilt wheel in it's lowest position, and be careful so you don't crack the bezel or snap off the hazard switch button while removing the bezel. If you have fog lights, you'l have to unplug the fog light switch as it is attached to the bezel . The radio itself is secured by screws on each side of the face. Follow the directions on your wiring kit to wire up your new radio, put it in the adaptor kit, and install.

tblake
11-13-2010, 08:35 PM
I usually remove the two bolts by the drivers knees holding the lower panel on. The pop the panel off, and the the dash bezel should come out pretty easy.

00GTP4ME
11-17-2010, 03:28 PM
My first a/m radio install was on my GTP. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. The hardest part, I thought, was splicing the wires for the harnesses which was pretty simple.

doctorhrdware
11-17-2010, 07:15 PM
You also need need the GM antenna adapter. The antenna connector is smaller then the aftermarket radio antenna connector. It will be fairly easy to take the OEM radio out and install the aftermarket radio in.

Add your comment to this topic!