Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'96 Park Avenue steering problem

mixery2002
11-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi!
First of all, please forgive me my bad english, I am a native german speaker but I try my best. I bought a '96 Park Avenue some weeks ago. I like the car and everything is fine except the steering.

When I do a right turn and go straight afterwards, everything is fine. If I do a left turn and go straight afterwards, I have to steer to left to keep the car going straight. After the next right turn, everything is fine again. In faster corners I notice sometimes that the radius seems to change although I don't change the angle of the steering wheel.

I had a mechanics look at the car, he did an alignment and said everything was ok. I don't think so and I would like to have a car that feels save, which isn't the case at the moment. Do you have any ideas what can cause this problem?

kind regards
Daniel

maxwedge
11-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Welcome to AF. Not an easy diagnosis from here, but sounds like a frozen or rusted upper strut mount/bearing is one possibility. Or the rack is loose in it's mounts. All the ft and rr suspension components need to be carefully checked. BTW, my nephew lives in W. Palm.

mixery2002
11-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for now. I know that it's difficult to diagnose if you don't see it before you.

Has your nephew something to do with cars or knows maybe a mechanics I could go to? I worked in a car dealership in Germany for several years and know what sometimes is going on so I just dont want to try my luck with a mechanics I don't know. It would be good to know somebody who knows his stuff as I already paid 80$ to the first one who didn't change anything and told me everything was fine.

BTW, this forum is great, I fund some other stuff yet that was interesting for me concerning the car.

MagicRat
11-12-2010, 08:23 PM
, but sounds like a frozen or rusted upper strut mount/bearing is one possibility.
I completely agree. Quite likely this is your problem. They are relatively easy to replace. This is a safety-related issue and you should have this problem verified and repaired as soon as reasonably possible.

Rockauto.com sells them for $13 each. You would need 2 of them, one per side.

Add your comment to this topic!