Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

intermittent starting issues

crazyduetoiowa
11-11-2010, 08:11 AM
I have a 03 s-10 4.3 4x4. Some days it will not start. It powers evertything up normal, fuel pump runs, but when you turn the key to fully start it does nothing. No attemp to start at all! I usually have to wait 10-20 mins and it will eventually start. I replaced the ignition switch last weekend, and this did not fix it. What do I look at next?

old_master
11-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Take all of the battery cable connections apart, both ends of all cables, including at the starter. Clean them with a battery cable cleaning tool, sandpaper, file, wire brush, what ever it takes to get the to shine. Put them all back together, tighten them and try it. Post your results.

crazyduetoiowa
11-13-2010, 12:30 PM
I did the battery the other day. I have not gone down to the starter. Could it be a bad starter solenoid? Someone suggested that to me. How hard are these starters to put in on a 4.3? I will check the cables going to it early next week. Thanks for your input and assistance!

inafogg
11-13-2010, 02:32 PM
sure it could be the starter but making sure all connections are good
is alot cheaper & a better way to diagnose. when it does'nt crank is when you want to do your checking
just replacing parts is a good way to make for an exspensive repair.
good luck

Add your comment to this topic!