Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil pressure switch failures 2000 Regal GS

irbf
11-09-2010, 11:46 AM
For the fourth time now the oil pressure sensor has sprung a serious leak. Each time I replace the sensor and it lasts approximately two months before leaking again. The leaks are serious and aside from being an environmental concern risk starving the engine for oil. At first I thought not using the proper wrench was the cause. I purchased the appropriate socket three sensors ago. Any idea why these keep blowing out? Last one came from a manufacturer, I believe stanton in NY.:screwy:

Airjer_
11-09-2010, 01:57 PM
What parts supplier are you buying them from? Have you tried an O.E. one or one from a reputable parts supplier like NAPA?

irbf
11-09-2010, 02:43 PM
The first couple were from a discount auto parts store. The last two were from a locally owned store and by Standard. I just picked up another one an hour ago.

Is it possible that a failure mode of the oil pump would be excessive pressure?

inafogg
11-09-2010, 04:43 PM
would'nt think it was a oil pump issue/failure
i'd stay with bad part even though standard is a good name brand

irbf
11-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Changed the oil pressure switch again. Bottom of car soaked with oil. The switch installed is a Standard manufactured in Mexico. Guess I will see how long this one lasts.

richtazz
11-10-2010, 11:22 AM
1. Does your car have an oil pressure guage, and if so, what is it reading?
2. Do you notice any deformation of the oil filter that would indicate it is ballooning from excessive oil pressure?
3. Due to the difficult location, are you sure you're not damaging the sensor(s) when you install it(them)?

irbf
11-10-2010, 09:12 PM
After the first installation I purchased and have used the special socket for the sensor. I have been careful not to place stress on the plastic housing.

I have replaced the oil filter with each of the past two failures including the one yesterday. There is no sign of any stress on the filter. It is my understanding that filters have a bypass in case they become clogged. Not sure if this is acurate.

I am at a loss with the exception of lousy quality.

I did use Marvel Mystery additive to the oil about 1 1/2 years ago when a lifter developed some noise. I added 1/2 quart and 300 miles later changed the oil and filter. It seemed to loosen a bunch of sludge. Maybe the residual is still moving sludge to a filter but the filters removed seem normal.

I last replaced the sensor and filter mid August. It lasted 2 1/2 months.

irbf
05-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Any new thoughts regarding oil pressure switch failures? I am on pressure switch number six in about two years time. The filters look fine (I replace the filter each time I replace the switch). I am using the special tool so as to not damage the switch. I have tried different suppliers including GM and still the failures. Weird. I have never experienced this with a car.

richtazz
05-31-2011, 09:53 AM
the only thing I can think of is either something is hitting the switch maybe due to a bad mount allowing the engine/trans to move around too much, or possibly the wiring harness that goes to the switch is snagged on something, which is pulling on the plastic part and cracking it. There should be a decent amount of slack in that wiring harness.

Also, check your power steering hoses, as the pump is right next to the oil pressure sender, and if the hoses aren't still secured in the factory clips, they could be moving around and contacting the switch as well.

Scrapper
05-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Changed the oil pressure switch again. Bottom of car soaked with oil. The switch installed is a Standard manufactured in Mexico. Guess I will see how long this one lasts.

that's where most of our parts come from and come from over seas. have you tryed jeggs or sumit and get a good one? i've never heard of this leaking so much on oil sending unit's leaking in very short of time.

good luck.....

richtazz
05-31-2011, 10:44 AM
I doubt the switch is the issue, with as many as he has went through it almost has to be another problem like a bad motor mount, snagged harness, or other physical issue causing this damage.

johnli794
05-01-2013, 09:12 PM
I have a 97 Buick Regal GS with the same problem. It was replaced by a mechanics for 4 times even with the dealer's original part. It has to be something wrong with the pressure.

Add your comment to this topic!