Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Grand Prix GTP: help diagnose oil leak/burning problem?

Young Chuck D
11-09-2010, 01:31 AM
No offense but please let me know what experience you have with these engines and vehicles before you make a suggestion.

Last month I bought a 95 grand prix GTP 3.4 DOHC. the engine has been replaced with an engine probably from a junkyard, it still has the yellow painted number on the intake manifold. the mileage is 122k miles. It made it fine on the hour long drive from Manassas, VA to College Park, MD and I still drive it today closely monitoring the oil level but it appears to be leaking and burning oil.

SYMPTOMS:

-slow steady oil leak only when the engine is running

-once I warmed it up on a chilly morning (35 degrees F) and it leaked oil under the middle of the engine and coolant in a seperate GREEN puddle off to the side

-engine runs loud and the sound appears to be coming from the side of the engine where the serpentine and timing belts are (the left side if you're facing the front of the car)

-the sound used to quiet down when i turned the a/c on but does not change anymore

-pulled a spark plug cable (i think 6th, not sure) while the engine was off and it had oil on the tip of it

Additional info:
-the tranny kicks when I shift into drive and when i slow down at stop signs/red lights it kicks when it gets back down to 1st

-there is a blown fuse or short circuit somewhere causing the rear left back-up light to not come on. I changed both bulbs and it still doesn't come on

Suggest any tests I can do with basic hand tools and I'll do it, ask me for any more info I'll find out and report to you. If you get me the right diagnosis I'll book you a family and friends discounted stay at any choice hotel in the US.

doctorhrdware
11-09-2010, 03:35 AM
It sounds like a LIM and or UIM. If the leak for the antifreeze, is on the passenger I would guess it might be the water pump.

Young Chuck D
11-09-2010, 04:44 AM
It sounds like a LIM and or UIM. If the leak for the antifreeze, is on the passenger I would guess it might be the water pump.

thanks. I'm going to research the UIM/LIM. Gaskets are only 23 bucks but it looks like it might be a bitch of a job. I wonder if theres a walk-thru in this forum...

and my dad and neighbor think the water pump is messed up too. If I change the water pump should I also change the timing belt and/or chain?

by the way I forgot to mention the mileage is 122k miles if that means anything.

tblake
11-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Yes, if you change the pump, definatly change the belt in the process.

Is the oil and coolant leaking from around the same spot?

Young Chuck D
11-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Yes, if you change the pump, definatly change the belt in the process.

Is the oil and coolant leaking from around the same spot?

no the coolant was off to the side in a separate puddle.

question though: isn't dex-cool orange? and don't these use dex-cool?

and by the way, i took the cover off the timing belt and inside the cover were belt 'shavings'... :\

and the loud noise i want to clarify sounds kind of like metal rattling/grinding

tblake
11-09-2010, 11:39 AM
If the shavings were belt particles, this could be cause because of coolant getting onto the belt, possibly from a bad water-pump.

If the oil leak is on the drivers side of the motor, coming from sort of the center of the block, there is a distributor "dummy" shaft and the o-ring seals are known to cause oil leaks at that spot. The bad thing is, they are sort of a pain to get too and on your motor I think at the very least you have to remove the upper intake manifold.

Young Chuck D
11-10-2010, 10:02 AM
If the shavings were belt particles, this could be cause because of coolant getting onto the belt, possibly from a bad water-pump.

If the oil leak is on the drivers side of the motor, coming from sort of the center of the block, there is a distributor "dummy" shaft and the o-ring seals are known to cause oil leaks at that spot. The bad thing is, they are sort of a pain to get too and on your motor I think at the very least you have to remove the upper intake manifold.

the oil leak is coming from the part of the engine facing the radiator somewhere below the coil packs. the drip i saw was dripping off the outside of a tube/hose that was only about half an inch to 3/4 inch wide but i couldn't tell if it was coming OUT OF that tube. it might have dripped onto it and off

Add your comment to this topic!