Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ignition switch on 1970 Mach 1

kyle5775fish
11-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm having trouble with the ignition switch on my 1970 Mach 1. I've had it apart several times now and can't seem to get it back together right so that the steering wheel locks like it should. Also...if I don't disconnect the battery, it will discharge overnight, leaving me to believe that I don't have the contacts aligned right on the steering column. The little brass gear at the end of the ignition switch and the aluminum bar that slides in the teeth of the brass gear must have to be aligned perfectly for it all to work right, but I can't seem to get the right combination. Any help would be very much appreciated.

mechhound
11-08-2010, 11:32 PM
I'd look for a new switch. Probably no longer available from Ford. Possibly available at NAPA or other jobbers. Or try Green Sales in Cincinnati, Ohio. Maybe find one on Ebay.

kyle5775fish
11-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the reply mechhound. I found a new ignition switch on ebay, as you suggested, but I don't really think my problem is the ignition switch. When I put it all together, I can start the mach and shut if off just fine with the ignition switch that I have. I believe it is inside the steering column in between the switch and the neutral safety switch. It is hard for me to explain without showing it to you, but it just seems like I'm not getting the linkage put together right after having the steering column apart. The ignition switch does not turn counterclockwise far enough to allow the steering wheel to lock or go into the accessory position. Any more suggestions or do you still feel like I should replace the switch?

Jerry L.Courtney
03-23-2011, 10:16 PM
To me it sounds like you have the gear indexed one tooth too high.Take the lock cyl back out,raise the rack one tooth ,then reinstall.

kyle5775fish
03-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the reply Jerry. I think that you are right about not having the gear indexed correctly, but I can't seem to get the right tooth alignment. I wish there was an easier way to do this other than "trial and error". I'll give it another try. Thanks again for your post.

Add your comment to this topic!