Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'08 4Runner AWD V8 Propeller Shaft Lube

LEM
11-08-2010, 02:44 PM
I noticed in the maintenance manual a recommendation to lubricate the propeller shafts every 10,00 miles or so if you're towing, so I decided to look into this.

First off I had to figureout what they menat by propeller shafts: these are the driveshafts from the transfer case to the front and rear differentials. The lubricated components are the universal joints and the yokes.

So I bought a tube of Mobil 1 grease, put the vehicle up on jackstands and performed the job. Took all of 45 minutes start to finish and the only problem was accessing the zerk fitting on the u-joint on the front shaft.

So I'm good for another 10,000 miles or whenever I feel like crawling underneath it again.

I found a couple of good posts on other forums that really helped. If you'r interested, just reply to this post and I'll put them up...I guess I'm allowed to promote other sites on this forum, even if they are competitors, right?

Brian R.
11-16-2010, 08:24 AM
You can post links to other sites if they are direct links to relevant discussions. You shouldn't post links to the front page or log-in page (etc) of competitor's sites. Then it appears you are promoting the site instead of assisting in a discussion.

Add your comment to this topic!